Honored Contributor

Have always had a passport. Will not be getting a Real ID.

Honored Contributor

I got a Real ID in I believe 2019 when my license expired.  Last year I got my passport because we had planned on traveling out of the country but of course that got canceled.  

Personally I would get a passport because you just never know.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Real ID or passport ?

[ Edited ]

I've always had at least one passport ( once had 3 concurrently) since I was 21.  I also have a passport card and yes, I'll get a real I.D. when I renew my D.L. in December.  DH and I are both " covered in paper" so we never come up short regardless of any situation.  We will again frequently travel overseas beginning in 2022.

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Depends on your state.  The requirements vary WIDELY (although they should not).  In my state I can not get a Real ID because I did not have the 8 forms of ID that meet the standards even though I have a passport.

So even though I have a passport I can not get a Real ID.  

Please not they are not the same depending on where you are traveling.  I have never needed a Real ID and when I needed a passport a Real ID would not have been accepted.

isn't that crazy, you can get a passport, but not Real ID

I know it is ridiculous!!  The barriers are awful. 

I worked as a volunteer in a Senior Center and 93% of our seniors could not get Real IDs because they did not have driver's licenses or proof of vehicle registration, or they didn't have utilities in their name because their housing included utilities.  The big was SS cards-- women got married 70 years ago did not file to change their names on their SS cards to their married names.

Honored Contributor

@KCDiva   I don't know your state but in my state you have to show every name change with paperwork...when I was getting my Real ID license two years ago there was a woman that was divorced twice and remarried one of the men...it was a paperwork nightmare for her.

This was right after the law was implemented, and new to the DMV employees.....maybe the kinks have been worked out...I'd go on the DMV in your state to see what you need.  

Again in my state they want to know every name change you have had and you need a couple of id's as well.  

I needed my marriage certificate...not the piece of paper you are given when  you married (I was married in 1979 so maybe you are given different paper work now)...I had to go to the courthouse, pay a fee for them to print out the proper paperwork...the whole thing was a huge pain.

Super Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@KCDiva  You will need marriage certificates in getting a real ID.  Honestly, I would get a passport and then you can always get a real ID later.

The DMV wanted a lot of items, including your birth certificate, SS card, utility bill, marriage certificates, etc.  You can get a SS card for free mailed to you by going on the SS site, and if you do, don't remove the card from the mailing insert, since they can use that as proof of address as well as the card.

It takes weeks to get your passport, so if you are interested in getting a passport, don't wait too long.  If I recall, you can take your passport to the DMV to use it in getting your real ID, but my license expired while I was trying to get the passport mailed to me, so I had to do both a few years ago.  It was nothing but a hassle to get a marriage certificate mailed to me from out of state for a marriage that had ended 20+ years ago.

I'm starting to research what I need to get a Real ID.  I don't think I can get a Real ID because I can't link my maiden name to my first married name.  No marriage certificate.  I do have the divorce papers but it doesn't state my maiden name anywhere on them.  I've already had to order a "certified" copy of my birth certificate and I'm not interested in trying to get a copy of a marriage certificate that happened 49 years ago.  So, it's a passport for me.

I don't understand why they have requirements to prove who you are all the way back to birth anyway.  I would think all we should have to prove is who we are now

I feel so sorry for all the grandma's who can no longer fly to see their grandchildren anymore.

Man plans. God laughs.
Super Contributor

@KCDiva   This is a funny story but the manager of our local DMV admitted to me that he went and got a Passport Card and said if he was me he'd do the same due to how easy it is to get one.  I went ahead and did so over a year ago and have had no trouble at all.  I was shocked a manager of our DMV would ever admit that to me but he saved me a lot of time.  I sent away for it and it was very easy. 

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Depends on your state.  The requirements vary WIDELY (although they should not).  In my state I can not get a Real ID because I did not have the 8 forms of ID that meet the standards even though I have a passport.

So even though I have a passport I can not get a Real ID.  

Please not they are not the same depending on where you are traveling.  I have never needed a Real ID and when I needed a passport a Real ID would not have been accepted.

isn't that crazy, you can get a passport, but not Real ID

I know it is ridiculous!!  The barriers are awful. 

I worked as a volunteer in a Senior Center and 93% of our seniors could not get Real IDs because they did not have driver's licenses or proof of vehicle registration, or they didn't have utilities in their name because their housing included utilities.  The big was SS cards-- women got married 70 years ago did not file to change their names on their SS cards to their married names.

@Abrowneyegirl 

If the "woman got married 70 years ago did not file to change their name on their SS cards to their married name". How are they able to collect Social Security?

If they are collecting Social Security under their maiden name all the years they worked under their married name would not be counted toward Social Security.

They had to have changed their name. Maybe they don't know where the card is that has their married name.

Respected Contributor
I don't have a passport. The Real ID was easy to get. I checked my state's DMV website & got all the info needed to bring in ad identification. Went very quickly.

I think the Real ID is needed to enter government buildings? Not sure if also required to enter my local city buildings.
Respected Contributor

Isn't it ironic what you need identification for?