Respected Contributor

Looking to purchase a 25"  bag.  SO many to choose from..I have seen many choices at T.J. Maxx including Delsey and Samsonite and many others...any recommendations?  Love Samantha Brown's luggage but they are pricey and I don't fly often enough to spend alot.

Esteemed Contributor

LL Bean has great luggage.   Check out their website, they may have some onsale.  I think you have to spend a little more to get good luggage.  I would rather have a suitcase that outlives me than one that the zipper breaks because the luggage handlers are crazy!!

There goes all your belongings!! ( LOL )  Seriously though, I've seen it happen.

Esteemed Contributor

Bought a two piece set with spinners at Costco several months ago. Was not more than $100 and they are great.

Honored Contributor

I have had Rick Steves' luggage for several years now. It has always done very well for me. With the way I have seen airport baggage employees handle luggage, I am surprised that Rick's soft-sided luggage has not come apart yet! ha! Have never had to patch up or repair his luggage. 

That being said, in three weeks I will be taking my new Lug Wheelie as my carry-on and not Rick's. I'm excited to see how I like it. I will still use Rick's 24" for my checked luggage. I also have his 26" piece, but over the years have learned how to pack more economically and don't need the extra space.

Honored Contributor

On the advice of a flight attendant we bought TravelPro and am very happy we did.  I was just in Marshall's/TJ Maxx and they had Swiss Gear, a brand that we also like, and a lot of TravelPro.  I was looking for a 24" inch and Swiss Gear has a 23.5 which was perfect.   I actually ordered it from Amazon.

While I would like to try Samantha Brown's what I don't like is her name is prominently displayed on the luggage.  I don't want people to think that's my name.

Esteemed Contributor

Swiss Gear from Target.  Made it from LA to India via China and back intact.  Very pleased.

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirlwrote:

Looking to purchase a 25"  bag.  SO many to choose from..I have seen many choices at T.J. Maxx including Delsey and Samsonite and many others...any recommendations?  Love Samantha Brown's luggage but they are pricey and I don't fly often enough to spend alot.

@bargainsgirl

We fly often and over the years I've found, airlines ruin inexpensive, expensive and anything in-between luggage.  I've also found, I do not get nearly as upset when a suit case from Marshall's gets banged up.

I will never purchase expensive or any full price luggage again.

Kohl's is another place to look, especially when you have a 30% off coupon. (which you can always google)

Our newest luggage is hard-sided with spiiner wheels.  While I love the wheels, I do not like the hard sides.  I find it is much easier to pack soft-sided luggage.

Honored Contributor

I was in the same boat, needing some new luggage, but not wanting to spend a lot.  We ended up buying two Samsonite hardside 2-pc. sets (a 28" and a carry-on, both with spinner wheels) from Costco right before Christmas.  DH got the grey, I got the purple.  They were something like $100/$129 per set.  We used them a couple of weeks ago, for the first time, and they worked well.  Very roomy inside, smooth rolling, and held up to the rough treatment by the baggage handlers.

Esteemed Contributor

The airlines areso hard on luggage.  I don't buy top of the line anymore either.

Valued Contributor

I went on a short trip trip to Utah recently and took a Lug bag as a carry on. It ended up getting checked and survived looking as good as it went in but did worry me. Will need to re-think my travel baggage for the future.