Valued Contributor

joy closedier todays special

suppose to be a clothes refresher for everything. I want to try it so I do not have to take my clothes to dry cleaners>

Honored Contributor

Re: joy closedier todays special

[ Edited ]

Joy made this type of dryer before.  I have one that is about 8 years old or so.  When I purchased mine, the reviews were not good, but I got mine on clearance.  It does not have the refresh feature where you can put in the smelly cards to make your clothing smell good, other than that, it is the same thing.

That said, I can tell you that I do not put my clothing in the dryer, except for sweat pants or sweat shirts or other types of camping or hanging out at home stuff that I would not wear in public.

The dryer does dry clothing, but my clothes dry in the open air inside and outside too.  Her dryer does keep some items from getting stiff when they are dried indoors. When dried outside, I don’t get the stiffness.

this dryer is not a substitute for the dry cleaners.  It can freshen up clothing with a nice smell, but if your clothing is dirty, it must be washed.  Some clothing cannot be washed in water...period.  You will ruin those items if you wash them and place them in Joy’s dryer.

I know she is saying that this will save on dry cleaning bills.  I think she is full of herself.  I only use mine in the winter time when I need an item to dry ASAP.  Otherwise, I dry my clothing on a rack overnight. Why pay for electricity?

i still send my wool coats and other wool clothing to the dry cleaners as well as nice dress clothes.  I wash my cotton and silk shirts in water and hang to dry.  I do have cashmere sweaters that I hand wash and some that were very expensive I dry clean.

If you have a lot of clothing that says hand wash, lay flat to dry, you will love Joy’s dryer.  If the tag says “ dry clean only”. You might want to think twice about putting that item in water.  It’s water that will ruin the clothing.

You can refresh clothing by hanging it outdoors or putting it in the dryer with a product made to refresh clothing. The product is sold at the grocery stores in the laundry section.

Esteemed Contributor

@tockermanwrote:

suppose to be a clothes refresher for everything. I want to try it so I do not have to take my clothes to dry cleaners>

This is an item on HSN. 

(I don't watch HSN so I didn't catch on right away.)

I'm watching now and the vendor clearly doesn't understand why some fibers (like cotton) shrink...or she's betting you don't.

When it comes to Dry Clean Only items, she's said things that are misleading, and would cause many viewers to draw conclusions that are downright untrue.

She's also using garment examples that are all made of lightweight, fast drying, non-porous fibers. Might work for some, but my laundry basket is full of 100% cotton and cotton blends.

Contrary to blanket statements, Knits that are labeled Hand Wash, Dry Flat do not belong in here. They would become stretched and misshapen. That's why they're Dry Flat. Some things she's said would ruin many of my garments if I took her at her word.

Quite honestly, this gadget looks like putting a bathroom fan/heater on the floor of a small closet or cupboard, propping it to face upward, and hanging clothes above it.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge  I agree with you.  I have one, only use it occasionally to dry something I need ASAP.  Anything really wet and heavy would stretch on a hanger.  

I have laid a small flat drying rack on short legs  in the bottom of mine a time or two to get something to dry faster. 

Mostly, mine just just sits there collecting dust.  I only paid around $25 for  mine on clearance..I would never pay the $99 price it is today.

Esteemed Contributor

While I was watching, a caller said they planned to take it to the beach. Wet swimsuits and towels and such.

My first thought was what only a few grains of gritty sand dropping from the fluttering garments above would do to the fan motor. 

I'm sure the fan outlet is protected with wire mesh or something for safety compliance, but if the mesh is small enough to keep out sand, then the airflow velocity would be very poor, extending drying time and upping energy usage.

Esteemed Contributor

I was curious about it.  I did not want it because my dryer does very well on just about everything.  I have multiple settings even those that I haven't a clue about. LOL.  

It just seems it is a heavy gadget.  When I travel I manage to find a way to dry items.. near the heater, airconditioner, outside on a balcony.  And I am careful what I take along (underware mostly that needs to be washed) There are many quick dry products and I buy those to travel with.