Valued Contributor

I often look at a TSV and wonder if the product is as good as its pitch. Do you recall any TSVs that were big successes in terms of sales but ended up getting disastrous reviews? I can recall 2 in recent memory:

One is when Harry Slatkin introduced his new line, Homeworx, and the TSV was a series of sets of votive candles that were in metal boxes that looked like story books. Almost all the reviews were 1 star, because the candles had no scent.

The other was one of Martha Stewart’s first TSVs which was a turkey breast and side dishes that were very high priced. It was pitched as an alternative to your usual Thanksgiving dinner. Most of the reviews stated that the turkey was inedible. Luckily, many customers had prepared the meal earlier than Thanksgiving and were able to warn others with their reviews, so people knew better than to serve it for Thanksgiving. 

Do do you remember any other TSVs that ended up being flops?

Valued Contributor

the last my pillow tsv, a few weeks ago.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember days when the TSV sold out early in the day.  Of course, those were actually special.  In recent years there are so many repeats of things that people aren't buying. In addition, many of the prices for the nicer items are just out of our price range.

Honored Contributor

The recent Northern Nights sheet TSV. Lots of poor reviews because of scratchy, heavy, wrinkly sheets that were no soft at all. I sent mine back. They were by far the worst sheets I’ve ever tried. 

Contributor

I remember a bra quite a few years ago. I think it was a Genie Bra? It got about 1000 one star reviews and was taken off of Qvc.com. Another bad one was a self tanner by Josie Maran that you put on in the shower like a body wash. It was horrible. That bombed. And who could forget the past two Plexaderm TSV's. And now it's coming back this week for a 3rd TSV in less than a year. Please give it up QVC. Why do they keep selling that awful product??????

Respected Contributor

There was a Clark’s suede desert boot, maybe a year and a half ago. Very cute but very difficult to get on and too snug for most people. I get into mine with a shoe horn LOL and it is so comfortable once on, but there were tons of returns based on reviews.

Honored Contributor

I think they often use the TSV and especially the Big Deal as a dumping ground for merchandise they know is inferior.  I can recall several Clark's that many couldn't even get on their feet.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think they often use the TSV and especially the Big Deal as a dumping ground for merchandise they know is inferior.  I can recall several Clark's that many couldn't even get on their feet.

@Kachina624  I don’t think that’s the case. Think about how many products sell out during normal presentations and how many units they have for the TSVs. They often sell over a hundred thousand units of a TSV. They have to plan in advance and have enough units in stock to do that.

Honored Contributor

@MaryLamb.  I ordered the Sketcher wedge heel sandal that was the TSV about a week ago.  It came today and the box had one of the stickers on it that are used on returned merchandise.  Another customer had a similar complaint.  I think I read one favorable review on that lacey Breezie bra of two weeks ago, and a ton of one-star reviews.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

There was a fly london tsv about two years ago (a strappy wedge design) and an alegria a little over a year ago (a t strap sandal)

both sold very well during their tsvs. Both had a barrage of returns. Both are still receiving clearance presentations as recent as this month.