Contributor
If I have a pressure cooker why would I want an instant pot? I believe it's the same type of cooker?
Esteemed Contributor

Don’t understand your question, but I own an Instant Pot and love it!

Honored Contributor

Whether I had a pressure cooker or not, I would never give up my Instant Pot.  This is an amazing pot that makes my life easier and my food tastier quicker,  I love the versatility of the pot also.

Esteemed Contributor

Good question - I understand it and have wondered the same thing = both are pressure cookers - just the IP is newer and does have some neat features.  I have a stove top PC ...never used b/c it requires constant attention - heat adjusting - clock watching - and keeping the top knob constant.  Just bought IP and you start the IP...........and walk away.  Nice cooker - but both will do the job.

Honored Contributor

@LucieLu  The ONLY reason you would want one is if yours is broke or you have trouble with it.  Otherwise, you DON'T NEED one.  Otherwise, keep what you have.

Honored Contributor

@LucieLu

The difference may be that a Pressure Cooker only does that one function.

Instant Pots ARE pressure cookers but are also MULTI functioning....

Also slow cooks, sautes, bakes, warms, makes yogurt etc etc.

Mine is a 6 in 1 and I think the new versions do even more.

Example...My Crock Pot is a slow cooker...only...Low and High...but can only slow cook.

Then they came out w/ Ninja type slow cookers with 4 in 1 or more functions that can also SEAR and do other things that my original crock can't do.

Honored Contributor

My electric pressure cooker is multifunctional. It can pressure cook, brown, slow cook and also keep stuff warm. It has a programmable panel with many options, too. I wouldn't need an IP unless this PC of mine breaks.

Valued Contributor

I've been thinking about purchasing an Instant Pot or something similar to replace my slow cooker. I LOVE my slow cooker but the ceramic insert is getting very heavy and I hate cleanup. It's also 6 qt for 2 people. 

Honored Contributor

@LucieLu.  Many people prefer the IP over other automatic pressure cookers because it has a stainless steel inner container.  I have a Cooks Essentials PC that is a beautiful turquoise color, but I did pick up an IP during the big Amazon Prime sale in July.  The do basically the same things except the IP makes yogurt.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment

I've had an electric pressure cooker for years. I've preordered the IP TSV because it has a delay feature that mine doesn't and it has a low pressure option so I can make hard boiled eggs. My old pc is an 8 qt. so I'll save it for making stocks and use the 6 qt for daily cooking.