Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

horrible history with pressure cookers.  As a child I remember an incident.  My father came home from work and asked if the dinner was ready.  My mother said yes,  He asked where it was and she said, LOOK UP.  Yep, it was on the ceiling. The pot exploded.  Some sort of stew was dripping down.  

Don't forget things like that.  Not buying it.  Don't care how safe they say it is.  NO way.  

@bonnielu   I've used a pressure cooker, mostly the stovetop model, for over 50 years.  I've never had a single problem with mine.  As long as one follows the instructions and checks to be sure the rubber gasket is in good shape, they are completely safe.  I still have mine and wouldn't hesitate to use It.  My mother used one the whole time I was growing up and she never had a problem either.

The new electric models are ridiculously simple to use and completely safe.  All those buttons make it look more complicated than it is.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Instant Pot

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@eddyandme.   Soy, almond, coconut, cashew milks are in the dairy case at the grocery store.  I'd probably use almond.  I've made yogurt many times in a Deni yogurt maker and use a big spoonful of commercial yogurt with live culture as a starter.  I also used an envelope of plain Knox gelatin to make it firmer.  @sidsmom. Recipe is much easier but I'm wondering if it's necessary to buy bacteria?

My recipe is vegan so it would be a pinch different.

The shelf-stable tetra paks are 100% safe (no issue of bacteria).

I would question the refrigerated milks.  In theory the refrigerated milks would be the same, but bringing it down to room temperature before starting would factor in.  The tetra paks are available everywhere..even Walmart.

Soy: the fat content of the milk is what makes the yogurt firm up. Personally, I’ve never had success with almond or other plant based milks.  Soy has the most fat.

Using yogurt from old batch as starter: I’ve never tried that...don’t know if that would work consistently.  Plus...I’m a stickler for cleanliness..I wouldn’t want anything to cross-contaminate.  

The plant based yogurt process I have for soy yogurt using 

WestSoy organic soy milk & a fresh starter works every.single.time. 

I guess one could experiment, but these 2 ingredients could sit

in your pantry for months & months. This method is just the

path of least resistance. 

Respected Contributor

@LilLadyNJ wrote:

I haven't tried sanitizing anything in the Instant Pot. For dish sponges, I'd either use the microwave or add it to my dishwasher. 

Thanks for the answer. I read an article that cast doubt on the microwave, and I'm the only dishwasher I've got, so I've either boiled batches of sponges on the stove to try to sanitize them or given them an overnight bleach soak.

I wound up getting the IP for food, but will buy extra rings on the IP site so I can dedicate one to sterilizing. They have clear, red, and blue rings for the 6-quart IP, so it'll be easy to keep track of which one is which.

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

Wondering about the sealing ring. Is that something that is only occasionally used (e.g., pressure cooking) or is it a second one included because they know we’ll need it soon?

some people like a 2nd b/c they make desserts and the ring can pick up savory smells if you make mainly things like that.  my original ring is fine I run it through the dishwasher all the time but I think if I was to make a cheesecake I would use the other, but that's not happening.

I agree, my original ring smells like pot roast so I bought another for desserts.

OH @jackthebear

Try the cheesecake!  It was so easy!  I consider myself a master at baked cheesecakes.  You seriously could NOT tell the difference except in the size!

I got a small springform pan from AMA for not very much....now that is a size cheesecake 2 ppl can eat! 

Will post a recipe for anyone interested....

Honored Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

@LucieLu

The difference may be that a Pressure Cooker only does that one function.

Instant Pots ARE pressure cookers but are also MULTI functioning....

Also slow cooks, sautes, bakes, warms, makes yogurt etc etc.

Mine is a 6 in 1 and I think the new versions do even more.

Example...My Crock Pot is a slow cooker...only...Low and High...but can only slow cook.

Then they came out w/ Ninja type slow cookers with 4 in 1 or more functions that can also SEAR and do other things that my original crock can't do.

Funny, my Pressure Cooker does all the things the Instant pot does.  

As others mentioned, there ARE other brands of Pressure Cookers that do the same multi-functions as the IP.

It is just the most advertised one right now. 

Some older versions of Pressure Cookers are single function only.

Honored Contributor

The only thing I would do different next time is add some sugar to the graham crust with the butter.  (Reduce equal amount of graham and add that amount of sugar).  It needed a little tiny bit of sweetness, IMHO.

Cheesecake In Your Instant Pot

It "bakes" in just 35 minutes.      Delish.com

Assuming you already have an Instant Pot, the only out-of-the-ordinary kitchen tool you'll need is a small springform pan. We used a 6" pan, but 7" should work too. Everything else about the recipe, minus the insanely fast cooking time, is pretty basic. Here's how to do it:

1. Make the crust. This recipe calls for a lot of graham for how small the cheesecake is. But isn't everyone's favorite part the crust anyways? We love how it looks when the crust comes up the sides, as it does here. Once the graham-butter mixture is pressed into the pan, freeze it for 20 minutes while you prepare the cheesecake filling.
  2. Make filling. As you do to make almost every other cheesecake, beat together cream cheese, sugar, brown sugar, sour cream, flour (it helps the texture!), eggs, vanilla and a tiny bit of salt. Pour it over the crust.
  3. Get the Instant Pot ready. Pour water into the Instant Pot and place the trivet in the bottom. Then, fold a large piece of foil into thirds to create a "sling" that helps removing the (very hot and steaming) cheesecake rather painless.
  4. Pressure cook for 35 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally, remove cheesecake (using the sling) and let cool on a wire rack for at least an hour before refrigerating until chilled.

Cheesecake In Your Instant Pot

With the cooling time, this cheesecake is still somewhat of a lengthy process. BUT, it's easier. There's no water bath to worry about, the cheesecake cooks much faster, and, because it's smaller, it cools more quickly. Oh, and it also tastes incredible! It's about as creamy and smooth as you could ever possibly imagine.

Ingredients

For the crust

• Cooking spray, for pan
  • 1 c. crushed graham crackers
  • 3 tbsp. butter, melted
  • pinch of salt

For the cheesecake

• 16 oz. (2 blocks) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 c. granulated sugar
  • 1/4 c. light brown sugar
  • 1/4 c. sour cream
  • 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
  • Cool Whip, for garnish
  • Chopped strawberries, for garnish

Directions

1. Grease a 6” springform pan with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and salt and mix until mixture is the texture of wet sand. Spread evenly in the bottom and up the side of the pan. Freeze for 20 minutes.
  2. In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese, sugars, sour cream and flour until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and salt and beat until combined. Add eggs, one at time, and beat until just blended. Don’t over-mix. Pour batter into springform pan on top of crust.
  3. Pour 1 ½ cups water into Instant Pot and place trivet in the bottom. Fold a large piece of foil (about 18”) into thirds to make a long “sling,” and lower it into the instant pot. Put the pan on top and fold the sling.
  4. Lock the lid in place and select High Pressure. Set timer for 35 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally. Remove the cheesecake from Instant pot using the sling and place on a wire rack to cool for at least an hour.
  5. Cover springform pan with foil and refrigerate for 4 hours or up to overnight.

Esteemed Contributor

It was a long time ago.  All I know the dinner ended up on the ceiling. Never will I buy a pressure cooker.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

horrible history with pressure cookers.  As a child I remember an incident.  My father came home from work and asked if the dinner was ready.  My mother said yes,  He asked where it was and she said, LOOK UP.  Yep, it was on the ceiling. The pot exploded.  Some sort of stew was dripping down.  

Don't forget things like that.  Not buying it.  Don't care how safe they say it is.  NO way.  

@bonnielu   I've used a pressure cooker, mostly the stovetop model, for over 50 years.  I've never had a single problem with mine.  As long as one follows the instructions and checks to be sure the rubber gasket is in good shape, they are completely safe.  I still have mine and wouldn't hesitate to use It.  My mother used one the whole time I was growing up and she never had a problem either.

The new electric models are ridiculously simple to use and completely safe.  All those buttons make it look more complicated than it is.

@Kachina624I agree with you.  Every time I hear someone say PC's are dangerous or some food ended up on the ceiling, I think, "You weren't using it correctly."

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I totally agree with those in previous threads.

My mother used a stovetop pressure cooker for decades...

and never once it exploded. That’s clearly a sign they didn’t 

know what they were doing.  Because of those people,

that’s why we have “Keep Away From Water”

warning labels on hairdryers. 

🙄

Respected Contributor

Re: Instant Pot

[ Edited ]

I walked into Walmart yesterday and they had an entire shelf of Instant Pot's for $79. They also had the 3 quart. I don't know what the difference is between what walmart had and what QVC had except I know the 1 I bought on QVC was a special configuration for QVC. I can't wait to try this.