Honored Contributor

@joann1218It's not a strange question because from the point of view of a customer I think it makes sense.

From the point of view of the seller?  Wouldn't they just raise the per pound price once they realized we were doing that?   It costs them the same $$$ to have it in their stores whether we buy it with or without the woody ends.  (This fits into my theory that it's all about the money --   my money versus someone else's.)

And another ?? -  how long does asparagus keep after you snap off the woody stem?   I don't know -  when I buy asparagus, I prep only what I intend to cook that day.    

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Thank you ladies for your replies re:  weighing produce ahead of time.  Saving time at the check-out - - I find it hard to keep up with our cashiers - I'm pulling stuff out of cart - and they are actually waiting for more.  zip - zip - zip   LOL

@fthunt 

Especially at Aldi's!  They are finished b4 I even look up!  I have to go to the counter just to look at my receipt to see if it is correct!  Only twice have I found errors...but no way I can watch them per item!

I suppose it is good in many ways, no long checkout waits there!  But I always feel rushed like I need to GIT outta the way!  Can't even close your purse!  LOL

Valued Contributor
If I was a cashier I wouldn’t trust someone who’d written their own weight on the bag. Way to easy to write a lower number.
Honored Contributor

@hippiechick7897 wrote:
If I was a cashier I wouldn’t trust someone who’d written their own weight on the bag. Way to easy to write a lower number.

@hippiechick7897 

I'm confused...you don't write your own weight on the bag.  You put the produce code for your item into the scale, weigh it and the scannable label prints out of the machine.  It is all electronic.

There IS tons of ways to be a thief, I am sure!  I have seen it.

Valued Contributor

Re: Buying Asparagus

[ Edited ]

There was a post saying they write the weight on the bag to save the cashier time.

If I was the cashier I wouldn’t trust what was written and I would reweigh it.

They don't have those smart scales anywhere I shop here. 

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJI often use the stems raw -  peel and quarter and crunch for snack.   Did that just yesterday!

Honored Contributor

What really irks me is buying meat that looks great on the side you see, then getting it home and ready to cook only to see that the huge chunks of fat and gristle are on the side that doesn't show!!! I weighed all the garbage I had to cut off one time, from a roast and it weighed almost 1/3 of a pound!!! So I threw away prob $5.00!! Hate buying already packaged meat!!  Been buying from the butcher case lately. 

Regular Contributor

Honored Contributor

Yes, I cut it off.  No, I don't think it's fair to pay for it.  

Respected Contributor

Your post tugged at my heart strings because it brought back memories of Momma.  Heaven help us but my mother  would pull that stunt !  It got so I really didn’t want to go with her to market but those were her last and favorite outings and she insisted I drive her in HER car but she would be doing the driving at that produce department.  She would pick though and switch out the grapes and strawberries while I’m going right behind her putting them back in place and entertaining all those in sight. It was funny and she was funny but I didn’t think it was right then and I don’t think it’s right now.