Honored Contributor

Re: Buying Asparagus

[ Edited ]

Not a silly question.  I always break off the stalk and lose at least 1/3 of the product and have thought the same question. Bits and pieces of veggies can make a great stock if you are inclined.  If you buy the tender little stalks there is less waste.  If I want Asparagus....I just go for it and consider it as just part of the prep.  It is a yummy veg!

Honored Contributor

@hippiechick7897 wrote:
No. Would you peel your bananas before you buy them because you don’t eat the peel? A lot of produce has bits you won’t eat.

I agree.  Yes, many produce items have to be peeled or trimmed.   No different than buying meat with a bone that you pay for and you don't eat the bone.  (I love asparagus!)

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd.  You may be breaking off and wasting too much.  I noticed on a PBS cooking show recently, that they only trimmed off about 1/2".

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@joann1218   I like to buy my fruits and vegetables as close to being in the condition they are grown and harvested. I do use the thicker asparagus ends and other edible vegetable scraps when I make a vegetable stock.

I love the fronds (or carrot top greens) on fresh carrots but I seldom find them except occasionally in the farmers market in season.  They are edible.  Some are not, though, so you have to be careful.  The first poisonous leaf that pops into my mind--rhubarb leaves are deadly.  Only use those lovely ruby stems!  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   I know...I'm picky and only eat the really tender part!

Esteemed Contributor

@VirgoGirl Honest question I've always wanted the answer to - and your posting is perfect timing..............

Why do people weigh (grapes) or whatever before putting in cart?  They get weighed at check-out

If it's for cost - gee   how much difference in price will the grapes be if you have 15 more grapes on the vine instead of 12?

I'm a grab & go shopper    LOL

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don’t want thread hi-jack but the timing of this couldn’t be funnier.

Any suggestions for how to prepare asparagus for a side dish?  Ijust purchased it yesterday for the first time and I’m not sure what to do with it.

I’ve only had it twice before and it was from restaurants ages ago.

Honored Contributor

Chop them up ,freeze them ,add to homemade soups.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I look at this way...buying a piece of produce as whole as it can get will help preserve the 'edible parts' and keep those parts more flavorful as well as help them hold their nutrients. When you remove any outer peel or stem then you allow the remaining vegetable to oxidize or dry out. 

When it comes to buying shelled nuts...same thing there also. The shell helps preserve the edible part inside it. For example, shelled pistachios are tasteless and so dry, I don't buy them.

ETA - I have no idea why this thread is under TSV forum.Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@hippiechick7897 wrote:
I don’t want thread hi-jack but the timing of this couldn’t be funnier.

Any suggestions for how to prepare asparagus. I just purchased it yesterday for the first time and I’m not sure what to do with it.

I’ve only had it twice before and it was from restaurants ages ago.

I steam mine,or saute in a little olive oil.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.