Honored Contributor

Re: "TRAPPED" LLOYD BRIDGES, BARBARA PAYTON SUNDAY 12:15 A.M./10:00 A.M. TCM

@drizzellla  I know! And she kept returning to him after her mistakes in marriage and also the same thing with Tom Neal. I always wondered what happened to him. I thought maybe he was on the Black List or something. The wounds on his face were said to be disfiguring, and with going to jail I don't think any studio would touch him. And Franchot Tone surprised me, going for Barbara Payton. On screen he seems rather stuffy and high class-dignified, even. But then , I didn't know him IRL. That's for sure.

Honored Contributor

Zowie!  We just watched the movie. I didn't know Eddie told you the story of Barbara Payton's sordid life. I wouldn't have included what I had read. Usually when something like that is known about a Hollywood star, it is all hush hush. They usually keep it in their own little circles. Someone sure made slip some juicy stuff. I wonder why. hmmmm............interesting. Maybe because some marital bliss (blisses) could have been destroyed. It's all so seamy. It was never said what kind of gal she was. Pushy? Sweet? Flirty? Fake?Happy? Unhappy? I kinda wanted to know, which is why I looked her up in the first place. And just because she had lots of affairs, it could have been mostly to get movie roles? Seems like she had two true loves and she kept going back to them. Reminds me a lot of MM. Another sad tale. Enough!

Honored Contributor

Yeah, @Judaline, to answer your earlier question, Jean Wallace must have had clinical depression, made two known suicide attempts, the last one using a knife....

You're right, Barbara Payton's lurid later existence is reminiscent of Marilyn's, in some ways even more sad, if possible...