Honored Contributor

"TRAPPED" LLOYD BRIDGES, BARBARA PAYTON SUNDAY 12:15 A.M./10:00 A.M. TCM

12:15 a.m. Eastern/10:00 a.m. Eastern--  "Trapped"  Lloyd Bridges, Barbara Payton, John Hoyt

This is sight unseen for me, but sounds like a suspenseful little "B" noir.  It's got several things going for it, including direction by the talented Richard Fleischer, who also directed noir cult fave,  "The Narrow Margin".

The Federal Treasury guys are bent on busting up some counterfeiters, and hoping to enlist shady Lloyd Bridges in the dangerous effort.  Bridges is mixed up with a smoldering nightclubber,  Barbara Payton ( the doomed but lovely bombshell who, among other things, Franchot Tone and Tom Neal fought bitterly over in real life).

Lloyd Bridges was far more talented than his skin diving stints in "Sea Hunt" would indicate.  He was terrific in film noir.  Very authoritative in "The Limping Man", an English noir that you can view on Youtube.   Barbara Payton was exquisite, and John Hoyt is one of my favorite character players ("The Big Combo",   "Winter Meeting").  He could flip from austere, to foppishly fey, to shrewdly malevolent-- very versatile, cerebral supporting actor.

Looking forward to Eddie's rundown on this one, as he is another fan of director Fleischer...  

Honored Contributor

Re: "TRAPPED" LLOYD BRIDGES, BARBARA PAYTON SUNDAY 12:15 A.M./10:00 A.M. TCM

If only to not think of Lloyd Bridges as a TV star on Sea Hunt , I will DVR this and check him out in a movie role. I believe the only movie  I remember which I saw him in was his part in High Noon (the only Western I love). Great theme song!

Honored Contributor

Oh, yeah, @spiderw, that's such a poignant theme somg in "High Noon"!   Has to be one of the three greatest westerns in my book--  "High Noon",   "Shane",   and "The Searchers".

Oh, have to add "The Shootist" for bittersweet reunion of John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart and Lauren Bacall late in their careers, and then there's "Red River" and "Stage Coach"--  sorry I'm getting carried away, ha...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  The fighting over Barbara Payton ( a real dish!). Sounds interesting. Who won if you know?

Honored Contributor

OMgosh-never read anything like this before. And all because of the way she looked-IMO

http://www.glamourgirlsofthesilverscreen.com/show/217/Barbara+Payton/index.html

Honored Contributor

Wow, that Barbara Payton had some life, and a short one at that, according to Eddie Muller. Remember Lloyed Bridges as Mandelbaum on Seinfeld. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well once again Oznell, you and Eddie Muller did not steer me wrong. That was quite a movie. Even if Lloyd Bridges did get sick and change the ending. It still was suspenseful. Glad I watched it. Thanks for your intro, Oznell. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, my pleasure, @drizzellla.  I almost didn't do the alert, since I hadn't seen it and wasn't sure.  But it did sound like it had the ingredients for a sizzling "B"!

Wow, I hadn't heard half that stuff @Judaline found on Barbara Payton.  What a sad, sad tale.  If as Eddie said, both her parents were raging, active alcoholics, it makes more sense.  The disease just continues, from generation to generation sometimes, and of course, exposure to Hollywood "high life" lights the fuse.   Feel sorry for her little boy.

Franchot Tone seems to have been attracted to very troubled women-- his wife prior to Payton, the luminous and tragically fragile Jean Wallace....

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, my pleasure, @drizzellla.  I almost didn't do the alert, since I hadn't seen it and wasn't sure.  But it did sound like it had the ingredients for a sizzling "B"!

Wow, I hadn't heard half that stuff @Judaline found on Barbara Payton.  What a sad, sad tale.  If as Eddie said, both her parents were raging, active alcoholics, it makes more sense.  The disease just continues, from generation to generation sometimes, and of course, exposure to Hollywood "high life" lights the fuse.   Feel sorry for her little boy.

Franchot Tone seems to have been attracted to very troubled women-- his wife prior to Payton, the luminous and tragically fragile Jean Wallace....

AND the fact he kept coming back for more with Barbara. That was a shock. He seemed to be such a smart level headed guy in the movies. Guess it just showed what a good actor he was.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Didn't Cornell Wilde marry Jean Wallace? Was she troubled? I think we discussed this once before but I don't remember her being 'tragically fragile'? What's that about? Sounds awful.