Trusted Contributor

anybody watch Gray Gardens on tcm?

How can two people live the way they did.Horrible conditions they both needed to be in a assisted home.I am surprised the neighbors did;nt complain,that was in the hamptons.

Honored Contributor

Re: anybody watch Gray Gardens on tcm?

i'm not because I've seen it a couple of times already.  That was enough.

Honored Contributor

I saw it before as well. It is very depressing to me thinking that two grown women actaully lived like that......Drew Barrymore did a great job in it though.

Esteemed Contributor

TCM shows the documentary of the Bouvier ladies.  There is a dramatized version starring Jessica Lange and Drew Barrymore. I believe it's from about 10 years ago and is an HBO production.   

Respected Contributor

@bewise  -  I've seen it before and quite honestly, it's disturbing.  I don't like any of the "hoarding" shows and this was probably the first.  I can't imagine the clutter in one's mind to live such a cluttered life.  It's a sad documentary to watch.  The home and grounds could have been beautiful.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I missed it. Smiley Sad It is disturbing, but it's also so bizarre that I just have to watch it.

Respected Contributor

I LOVED both movies...the Maysles documentary and the Hollywood version (Drew was WONDERFUL in this movie!). Looks just like my place.....lol....just kiddin'.....or am I ? Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

i agree that it is just so disturbing, but you HAVE to watch.

if you liked the gray gardens documentary you may want to watch the documentary THE QUEEN OF VERSAILLES. i also watched that a couple of times.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i agree that it is just so disturbing, but you HAVE to watch.

if you liked the gray gardens documentary you may want to watch the documentary THE QUEEN OF VERSAILLES. i also watched that a couple of times.

Thanks for the movie tip. I see it's on my Netflix so my evening viewing for tonight is planned. Looks good. Thanks again Sunshine45!

Honored Contributor

@bewise wrote:

How can two people live the way they did.Horrible conditions they both needed to be in a assisted home.I am surprised the neighbors did;nt complain,that was in the hamptons.

I have seen the original on TCM and I believe there was some mental illness involved.  It was very sad.  I know Jacqueline Kennedy tried to help by getting everything cleaned up.  It was kind of like watching horders.  Very very sad.  I also saw the movie with Drew Barrymore she was amazing in it.