Respected Contributor

Re: anybody watch Gray Gardens on tcm?

I've seen both versions and thought they were both well done.  It is difficult to understand that level of hoarding, but as we have seen on Hoarders, you have to address the psychological aspect of it before you start shoveling and probably in those days, it wasn't recognized as a mental illness, so there was no help.

Every time I watch a show that depicts that level of hoarding, I immediately want to back a dump truck up to my house and get rid of everything!  And I'm not a hoarder!

Respected Contributor

I also watch The Hoarders and want to get rid of everything. I think I have hoarding tendencies but my husband is an extreme anti hoarder.

About Grey Gardens, and hoarders in general, sometimes I think others are more upset with their  living conditions than the hoarder. I believe this is true with some homeless people also. 

Hoarders possessions, even trash gives them a sense of security.

Honored Contributor

@bewise wrote:

How can two people live the way they did.Horrible conditions they both needed to be in a assisted home.I am surprised the neighbors did;nt complain,that was in the hamptons.

The neighbors did complain. It was the smell.

Esteemed Contributor

I've watched it twice and recorded it last night for another watch. Each time I watch I find something I missed and very interesting. The acting is good.

Many people live like that and the surprise comes from the association to Jackie. Many elderly isolate themselves. It's just a very interesting show.

Respected Contributor

Both the documentary as well as the HBO drama starring Jessica Lange and Drew Barrymoore were both excellent.  Finally after many complaints Jackie Kennedy had to take the situation in hand.  I gather these relatives were from her dad's Black Jack Bouvier's side of the family.

Honored Contributor

I watched it once (the movie, not the documentary).  The acting was outstanding, and the story was tragic because it was true.

It depressed me and I won't be watching it again.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@culebra wrote:

Both the documentary as well as the HBO drama starring Jessica Lange and Drew Barrymoore were both excellent.  Finally after many complaints Jackie Kennedy had to take the situation in hand.  I gather these relatives were from her dad's Black Jack Bouvier's side of the family.

Big Edie (the Mother) was Black Jack Bouvier's sister.

@culebra 

Valued Contributor

this post has many confused....

The movie that was on was the docu Grey Gardens....NOT the movie with actors i e  Drew  Barrymore

Its the first one from 1974 ish...there's actually another docu made with left over footage around 79 I think...its called The Beales of Grey Gardens

I own both and watch them often....if you can get past the conditions and just watch the ladies its fantastic.....they are very intelligent and so unique....I love them

some days I get dressed and look in the mirror and say "this is the best outfit for the day, you understand"

some days Im Big Edie...some days Im litttle Edie

eating ice cream with a knife.....eating pate on a cracker with lemon or mayonnaise

Esteemed Contributor

Oooo, hoarding? The subject is so personally disturbing to me because I'm not at all a clutter bug. But I'm curious about the movie now.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

the Beales lived in Easthampton . the string of towns known as the Hamptons were not a glitzy playground as they are now.  in the 70's Easthampton was mostly Old Money.  there had always been artists and writers who came for the summer.  Dina Merrill and Cliff Robertson were the "movie" celebrities. they were a big deal at the Hampton Classic Horse Show.  potato farms were everywhere.   nothing was open after Labor Day out east. much different now. they paved paradise