Valued Contributor

Re: anybody watch Gray Gardens on tcm?

@jeanlake wrote:

Oooo, hoarding? The subject is so personally disturbing to me because I'm not at all a clutter bug. But I'm curious about the movie now.

the house has furniture in only two or three rooms...the yellow main bedroom....Little Edie's decoration/collection room and a table in the kitchen...its a very empty house

before the clean up there was a mountain of empty catfood cans....but whos counting 

previt (privit??) is taking over the gardens... 

the house was recently on the market for 5 mil....you used to could rent it out for a weeks stay....not sure if thats still a thing....the Bradleys had to agree NOT to tear it down before Lil Edie would sell it to them....they renovatd it and looks fab!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I've seen both the documentary and the movie with Jessica Lange and Drew Barrymore.

I saw the movie first, and thought Drew was really overacting.  Then I saw the documentary and thought Drew totally nailed the part of little Edie!  She had quite a personality!

It's a very sad family story; made me appreciate my slightly dysfunctional upbringing.

Respected Contributor

The Gray Garden home, if I remember correctly, was later purchased by Washington Post Editor in Chief Ben Bradlee (Watergate fame) and his wife Sally Quinn.  I gather it was in a pricey exclusive waterfront area of EastHampton. They restored the home to its former glory.

Respected Contributor

@BettyNewbie wrote:

this post has many confused....

The movie that was on was the docu Grey Gardens....NOT the movie with actors i e  Drew  Barrymore

Its the first one from 1974 ish...there's actually another docu made with left over footage around 79 I think...its called The Beales of Grey Gardens

I own both and watch them often....if you can get past the conditions and just watch the ladies its fantastic.....they are very intelligent and so unique....I love them

some days I get dressed and look in the mirror and say "this is the best outfit for the day, you understand"

some days Im Big Edie...some days Im litttle Edie

eating ice cream with a knife.....eating pate on a cracker with lemon or mayonnaise

I loved your post! I feel the exact same way....some days........Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

I saw the documentary years ago, and I've also seen the movie with Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange.  I never really thought of their story as one of hoarding.  I saw it as a mother and daughter who lost themselves, after Big Edie's husband / LIttle Edie's father left.  They didn't have much money to live off of afterwards, if I remember it correctly.  Their living conditions became horrendous for sure, but I think a lot of it had to do with slowly isolating themselves, and no one to really help them out with repairs, etc.  They eventually both became unhinged.  Little Edie really sacfificed her life for her mother, Big Edie.  Tragically sad "story." 

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

Just heard Gray Gardens is for sale for a mere 18 million dollars!  We could all pitch in and have a fun place to have some very nice parties.Woman LOL  The owner, Sally Quinn, did a beautiful job restoring it. 

Trusted Contributor

Does anyone know why Sally Quinn is selling it?  I saw a snippet of her on the news talking about restoring it and how much she loved it.  She said her husband did NOT want to buy and restore it at first, but finally gave in to her and they bought it.   It is lovely now.

Valued Contributor

@123SuzyQ123 wrote:

Does anyone know why Sally Quinn is selling it?  I saw a snippet of her on the news talking about restoring it and how much she loved it.  She said her husband did NOT want to buy and restore it at first, but finally gave in to her and they bought it.   It is lovely now.

just a guess but he' died and shes getting older...they have rented out for weeklong stays for a while now....it has to be a beast to maintain....it has been listed before ...a few times.....

Honored Contributor