Esteemed Contributor

Re: Remake of Dirty Dancing on ABC in May

@meallen616 wrote:

Image result for dirty dancing movie imagesImage result for dirty dancing movie images

Oh yes!  Be still my heart.

Super Contributor

Patrick was just so cool ....and hot ....!!

Regular Contributor

Yes, a remake of Dirty Dancing is not even remotely possible!!! Dear Patrick Swayze is still a favorite as we all mentioned during posts a while back about favorite films of all time. I will watch it or any part of it whenever it is on..........just wish TCM would consider adding  it to their list of films.......they now show all kinds of movies.   And "no one puts Baby in the corner"........

Esteemed Contributor

@YahooeyActually, the movie Dirty Dancing was filmed in North Carolina and Virginia.  I think it had something to do with the time of year they were filming and the weather.

It brought back a lot of memories for me, since I spent many summers in the Catskills.

@Yahooey wrote:
It's not like it can be updated for new audiences, new gadgets and storylines ala James Bond. Dirty Dancing is very specific, from the setting in the Catskills to outlook towards s@ x. They are not adding anything but rather showcase in its ineptness. I rather see a 20/20 on the dum dum came up with - Lets do a remake? And the dum dum that's says, great idea. Nah, that will be an hour of duh.

Honored Contributor

Jennifer Grey should not have changed her nose IMO.

Honored Contributor

Oh dear, I don't know about this.  I don't always feel this way about remakes, but this one is just too 'nobody but Swayze' for me that I couldn't be on board for a remake.

Good luck to them and maybe they can prove me wrong. Well, maybe more likely a cable or Premium channel than a network, though.   But I would be shocked if they did it justice.

My vote - leave it alone!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

No, just no. I agree with most that no one can replace the originals.

This is not going to be a "live" show, as NBC's The Sound of Music and Fox's Grease were. This is ABC's first attempt at an original remake musical. If it's ABC, I'm really surprised Johnny isn't being played by Derek Hough or one of the Chmerkovskiy brothers! I think Maks would have been especially good. At least they didn't force us to watch Julianne Hough in the role of Baby! Smiley Wink

The "unknown" actor playing Johnny - he was in a music video for Pink - might be talented, but he's no Patrick Swayze, as most of us know. I'm not crazy about some of the other casting either. 

IMHO, it's too soon to make a remake. Patrick has been gone a number of years, but they should have waited to do this a little longer. Not only was he terrific in the movie, but "She's Like the Wind" is still being played a lot of some stations. 

Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

Jennifer Grey should not have changed her nose IMO.

I agree.

Respected Contributor

It's a remake, not a replacement. You can go back & watch the original all that you want. 

I'll watch it. I probably won't like it, but I'll watch it.  LOL

I've never been a Patrick Swayze fan. Sorry. So that doesn't bother me. 

I feel bad for Jennifer Gray's nose. She was so uniquely pretty in Dirty Dancing & Ferris Bueller. 

I do love the live versions of the movies that they have been doing. It's like going to see a play, but I don't have to go anywhere.

Honored Contributor

They definitely won't be able to film any water scenes at Mountain Lake, in Pembroke, VA again, as that big lake is barely a pond these days.  

As I understand it, the water level just started dropping for some unknown reason; gradual at first, and then more noticeable.  At one point, the water was totally gone and you could see the bottom, with huge cracks in the dirt.  My husband and I drove out there after local news showed the area in a news report, and it was a very strange sight to see a lake with no water.   

Last I heard, Mountain Lake had some water again, but essentially only a small pond.   That area sits on an active earthquake fault, which has had several measurable tremors in recent years, and officials from Virginia Tech who have studied this issue, believe that is the main connection to what happened to the water.   There is serious doubt as to the lake ever seeing the water level it was when Dirty Dancing was filmed.