Honored Contributor

Re: Project Runway 3/21 - Back to Bravo! - SPOILERS

@DrKelli wrote:

Who is providing the accessory wall this season?

Haha, Dr. Kelli, great question. I read in no less than three credible sources that said season 17 on Bravo in 2019 the accessories are from piperlime -- which made me go huh? because they're out of business.

I just re-watched Christian's video on Bravo and he never says. All he says, somewhere else, is that it changes every week. And he holds up a pair of his own shoes but never says if everything is his which one would expect him to say or The Christian Siriano Accessories Wall which has also never been said.

My guess is they're from different brands? Totally a guess. Probably a wrong one LOL.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@LoriLori , I guess I see it differently.  To me, while a stylist can recognize good design and knows how to put other things with it to show it to it's best advantage (which, I suppose you could actually call designing), they don't actually come up with the original design.  They just know how to put it together. 

A designer does have to understand styling which is why it's part of what the designers get judged on, but generally that part is not in the forefront of the design process.  

I agree when you put it that way.  A designer must understand and have deep knowledge of styling to succeed.  A stylist doesn't need to know how to design.  

But:  For the purposes of this show every designer must know how to style.  It's part of what they're judged on and it should be.  So I was talking about our show, not the real world.

If they make it in the real world most sell on etail and they have to know how to style.  If they make it big they will pay big bucks to various stylists to do hair and makeup and music, etc.  Although some come up with their own stuff, like McQueen with his hooves and his masks, etc., but that's the exception.

Yeah, I understand they get judged on styling.  However, for them to approach the challenge from a stylist's viewpoint, which was how I understood Frankie's explanation to the judges, seems rather backwards.  I think it was Frankie that was the one that said that, but can't be sure.

Honored Contributor

Hey, who says it's difficult to design for large size models?  Hahaha.  This girl's rockin' it.

55443486_10157035630635688_5636331830748643328_n.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

I agree when you put it that way.  A designer must understand and have deep knowledge of styling to succeed.  A stylist doesn't need to know how to design.  

But:  For the purposes of this show every designer must know how to style.  It's part of what they're judged on and it should be.  So I was talking about our show, not the real world.

If they make it in the real world most sell on etail and they have to know how to style.  If they make it big they will pay big bucks to various stylists to do hair and makeup and music, etc.  Although some come up with their own stuff, like McQueen with his hooves and his masks, etc., but that's the exception.

Yeah, I understand they get judged on styling.  However, for them to approach the challenge from a stylist's viewpoint, which was how I understood Frankie's explanation to the judges, seems rather backwards.  I think it was Frankie that was the one that said that, but can't be sure.

@Icegoddess   I would put it down to her being self-trained.  Had she been through fashion school she would have learned.  And she doesn't seem open-minded let alone open to criticism or teamwork, both of which are so crucial (and water is wet) and maybe her line failed because of that?  She's clueless, like her making a literal version of Serena's bathing suit.

She had the same chance as Afa and Bishme, who are both self-taught and she might have gone as far as them.  But I wonder if she lacks the curiosity and humilitiy necessary to take her to the next level.  And maybe she just doesn't have "it."

Was it just last week?  Have there only been two episodes LOL?  Seems like more.

Bishme learned from his great-aunt and he's dressed minor celebrities (Niecy Nash, IMO, is a minor celebrity).

Afa learned from his mom and took sewing in home ec in high school and he's already had a bespoke gown on display at Buckingham Palace ordered by one of Vogue's editors-at-large.

Thank you, I just learned something because of this conversation.  I never thought about the difference between couture and bespoke.  Turns out some use it synonymously but they're not; couture must be completely hand-sewn and bespoke garments can be done on a machine.

Hope you set up the thread like you did last week with everyone.  I really appreciated that because I was and will be watching basketball.  Plus it's just a nice way to do it.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori, I did it last week because no one else did, and I think it was even the next day.  I can do that, no problem if nobody else does.  My husband and I usually have dinner with a friend on Thursday nights, so when we do that I have to tune in and either chase it or watch the recording the next day.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

We had that interesting conversation about the relative importance of styling (which I believe helped sink Dmitry's battleship last night) and turns out tonight's challenge involves styling. 

In the workroom is Marni Senofonti who is Beyonce's stylist and who chose all the garments for "Lemonade."  I loved "Lemonade" for many reasons and  for anyone who hasn't seen it, the clothes are a big part of it.  They help tell the story and are to die and sigh over.

[And "Lemonade" has one of my favorite models, Winnie Harlow, the black woman with bad vitiligo who Tyra Banks recruited for ANTM and then treated her badly.  (Tyra always had to have someone to pick on, she's such a witch.  Anyway Winnie is in "Lemonade" and Winnie is one of the top models in the world having gone further than anyone ever on ANTM.  Take that, Tyra!]

Here's the promo for tonight:

https://www.bravotv.com/project-runway/season-17/episode-3/videos/marni-senofonte-comes-to-project-r...

I'm squee'ing bigtime.  Basket what?

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori , I have not seen Lemonade.  But, listening to the comment about her breaking the rules reminds me of another conversation in another group.  I was considering a dress that was being shown on QVC.  Someone else mentioned they were getting it because they liked it and it came in petite.  Then, another poster said petites should not wear a maxi dress because it would make them look shorter, and that short people shouldn't wear large prints.  Personally, I didn't think the print was that large.  I have certainly worn larger, and that style dress is easily hemmed if it's too long.  I get really tired of all the "rules" for short people.  Remember how Mondo was a rule-breaker with the way he successfully mixed prints?  Now, that doesn't mean you can mix any print.  That is one of Michelle's problems.  She seems to think all prints can be mixed. 

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Assuming you don't want to be a fashion designer: 

My opinion is been dress to please yourself.  And if he cares and you have one, maybe the man in your life.  As long as you're dressed appropriately for work.  When I worked in tv, etc. the clothes mattered a lot.  Someone else's occasion, wedding or whatever, be appropriate.  Outside of that please yourself and have fun.  .

Anyone arguing over the height requirement for a maxi dress sounds to me like an unhappy person.  This is part but not all of why I avoid the fashion forum.  There's some great posters there but also not.