Honored Contributor

I couldn't believe it. Kelly weighed over 700 pounds. Sadly she did not seem to have many people willing to support her. She started into Dr. Now's plan slowly. And even ordered take out food in the Rehab Facility. And was gaining weight.

But to her credit. She changed her attitude and became a model patient. She seemed to be opening up and excited about her future. The last scene you saw was her talking about her college credits and enrolling in a college course so she could get her degree.

I was shocked that she went through all the struggle and then her heart gave out. It was so sad to see. I really was excited for her and her future.

One thing I don't understand. Why did her cousin refused to have her go back and live at his house the second time. I know it can be rough sometimes to have relatives living with you but you just keep repeating to yourself that it is temporary. 

It was so sad when I heard that she passed away. There were probably things going on that the camera did not show. But I just felt so bad for Kelly. And wish her family was more proactive in helping her.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw that last night.  My jaw dropped when I saw she had died.  In a way, it didn't surprise me.  I can't imagine having heart trouble, diabetes and high BP and carrying all that weight.  I thought she was going to die when she got stuck in the cab.

I did feel sorry for her.  She seemed to be on her way.

I didn't understand, either, about her cousin, first saying she had to leave the house and then said it was okay to come back.  So sad.

Honored Contributor

Re: Kelly - 600 Pound Life

[ Edited ]

This poor woman seemed so sad.  Her face was always expressionless.  I immediately saw the emotional pain she was suffering. 

it is too bad she waited so long to seek help and her heart was already so damaged.  In spite of everything, she was to be admired.  She never gave up, never complained and tried to push through her problems and even get a college education.

I was sorry to see that she passed, but now she is free of pain and suffering.

I am guessing that her cousin did not want to have his home filmed on TV.  I noticed they they only showed the inside of his home twice, her bedroom and the living room and only for a minute. I think this might be why he asked her not to return, but then changed his mind...maybe The show agreed not to film his home.  His home was beautiful inside and out.

Honored Contributor

Re: Kelly - 600 Pound Life

[ Edited ]

Dr. Now said her heart was already compromised (with all the subsequent side effects) when she first came to him.  My heart went out to Kelly as she had such a tragic past and never any support. (A mother who was less than concerned about her continual rape issues at a young age.) Her cousin) came through at the end, but probably realized this was not a "temporary" situation as she had no place to go.  It was generous of him to support her throughout her surgery. She rarely smiled, but you saw that spark of "maybe I can make this" towards the end. I, too, was saddened by the outcome; too young and just beginning a life that finally offered hope.  

Honored Contributor

It seems more people on the show are passing away. Very sad.

Valued Contributor

This was another disturbing episode.  I think these shows are heavily edited, but I have to question the effects of losing 122 lbs in a month would have on a person's body. Then regaining 30 some lbs in a couple of weeks.  And the scene of the food delivery to rehab, which was all being filmed, seemed to have been almost staged.  Kelly was a sad soul but at times she seemed so blank almost as if she was on drugs.  There's been a lot of deaths recently on this show from former and current patients.  A body just can't sustain 600 or 700 lbs.

Respected Contributor

I have watched several shows and each time I got stuck on the last line of the introduction:  only 5 ( ? ) % of the folks are successful.  

What does “ successful “ mean:  keeping weight at goal level or staying alive ?

It troubles me that the folks featured would wait until hitting the 600 mark.  Had they gotten help ( counseling as well as Dr. Now ) sooner, the outcome could have been better and not as difficult to maneuver with or without family support.

Lastly, I don’t think some of the scenes should have been included for the individual’s  privacy’s sake.

Will not watch another show.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I, too, have lots of issues regarding this process.  The "diet" is deplorable...the emphasis is on protein which is a whole other next level concern, these patients need intensive interventional therapy,  their health is already at high risk, and the operation itself is high risk surgery.  Given these concerns, I realize that most MDs won't touch gastric bypass on morbidly obese patients at 600 pounds, the counseling they receive is minimal rather than on a needs basis probably because there is a financial limitation, and these patients are so desperate they are willing to try anything and compromise their private lives to seek help.   Dr. Now is acutely aware of the risks, as well as his patients.  I appreciate that he is willing to step into the fire and offer hope where none existed.

One of my colleagues who had just completed a second master's degree that was to help her progress professionally had gastric bypass.  I attended her funeral due to surgical complications.  I have another friend that also had the surgery and when asked if it was the right thing to do, she replied she would not have done it because you are faced with the same issues with the food eventually.  

I have compassion for those being filmed.  Many have had major debilitating struggles during childhood and used food as a coping mechanism.  I wish that there could be major interventional counseling and informative classes on which foods provide high density nutritional value so they can eat more volume of quality food and reach satiety without the weight gain.  Unfortunately, the patients will continue to be hungry based on the diet provided on this program...it is unsustainable and unhealthy over the long run.  But this requires money and the only help these patients are offered is medical gastric bypass with very limited life strategies that will help them cope with the food/emotional issues.  Dr. Now is doing the best he can, given the restrictive guidelines of what he can do.  Self-reliance might be the answer and sometimes we require support, guidance, and love to facilitate that goal.  Not surprising that only 5% are successful with this endeavor.

Esteemed Contributor

I, too was very surprised that she passed away. When we saw the final shot of

her talking about getting her life in order and taking classes, I thought well that

is it for this episode. 

Then we saw Dr. Now talking about all her health issues and then he phoned

her father. Wow, makes you feel so sad for her. 

Fought the battle unfortunately but lost. To be over 700 lbs. and walking around

is shocking to me. She tried but it was too late and was only in her early 40's 

I think. Lonely, sad life wasted.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I, too, have lots of issues regarding this process.  The "diet" is deplorable...the emphasis is on protein which is a whole other next level concern, these patients need intensive interventional therapy,  their health is already at high risk, and the operation itself is high risk surgery.  Given these concerns, I realize that most MDs won't touch gastric bypass on morbidly obese patients at 600 pounds, the counseling they receive is minimal rather than on a needs basis probably because there is a financial limitation, and these patients are so desperate they are willing to try anything and compromise their private lives to seek help.   Dr. Now is acutely aware of the risks, as well as his patients.  I appreciate that he is willing to step into the fire and offer hope where none existed.

One of my colleagues who had just completed a second master's degree that was to help her progress professionally had gastric bypass.  I attended her funeral due to surgical complications.  I have another friend that also had the surgery and when asked if it was the right thing to do, she replied she would not have done it because you are faced with the same issues with the food eventually.  

I have compassion for those being filmed.  Many have had major debilitating struggles during childhood and used food as a coping mechanism.  I wish that there could be major interventional counseling and informative classes on which foods provide high density nutritional value so they can eat more volume of quality food and reach satiety without the weight gain.  Unfortunately, the patients will continue to be hungry based on the diet provided on this program...it is unsustainable and unhealthy over the long run.  But this requires money and the only help these patients are offered is medical gastric bypass with very limited life strategies that will help them cope with the food/emotional issues.  Dr. Now is doing the best he can, given the restrictive guidelines of what he can do.  Self-reliance might be the answer and sometimes we require support, guidance, and love to facilitate that goal.  Not surprising that only 5% are successful with this endeavor.

@phoenixbrd   "Many nutrition experts believe that the high proteincontent of low-carb diets is the main reason for their effectiveness. Bottom Line: Low carb diets tend to be much higher in protein than low fat dietsProtein can reduce appetite, boost metabolism and help people hold on to muscle mass despite restricting calories."