Trusted Contributor

I took a balance and vestibular class that involved building the body's core, positioning the body while standing and walking, along with awareness of head movements, and many other wonderful ideas and exercises.  If one is available near you, I highly advise it.  I have fallen more because of Achilles issues and problems with inner ear balance, even  while wearing flats. The techniques learned in the class helped me to minimize damage.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Wonder why she would just fall... she was hardly moving.. She does wear shoes that are dangerous expecially for anyone over 60. Maybe she needs to start wearing flats.

I'm inching closer to 70 and away from 60.  I work a full time job and only wear heels to work.  I prefer heels that are not more than 3" but have worn higher on occassion.  Three years ago I was at the airport with my boss who is about 15 years my junior.  We were trying to make the earlier flight home and I told her I would RUN to the gate to make sure they knew we were on our way.  I took off and got to the gate just before they closed the door.  When my boss eventually caught up to me, she could not believe how fast I moved in heels.  To this day she still brings it up on occassion. 

Honored Contributor

@Zernia Rose wrote:

I took a balance and vestibular class that involved building the body's core, positioning the body while standing and walking, along with awareness of head movements, and many other wonderful ideas and exercises.  If one is available near you, I highly advise it.  I have fallen more because of Achilles issues and problems with inner ear balance, even  while wearing flats. The techniques learned in the class helped me to minimize damage.

@Zernia Rose, I'm a fan of balance exercises especially as we get older.  However, it seems any time I mention them to someone they'll brush me off with something like "I don't have time for that after ...... (whatever they do for exercise).  I always do balance at the gym as part of my pre-run stretching routine.  I go into arabesque position (looks like I'm pretending to be an airplane on one leg except I keep my hands behind my back) and then go all the way down to sitting position with my leg and arms in front without touching the ground with the free leg during that transition.  I don have to hold that free leg up in the sitting position though.  I have seen some amazing balance work done on the Bosu ball (looks like half a ball) at the gym.    

Respected Contributor

Saw it and must admit (tho evil of me) I chuckled....HARD!

I laugh the same at myself when I fall, 'nuthin personal Oprah.

Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45  Thanks for the link.  How embarrssing and she's got to be sore today.  Her pants are really long and wide.  I wonder if she stepped on the pants hem and that brought her down.  

Honored Contributor

Beware of the new wide-leg pants and be sure they're not too long.  They'd be just like wearing a long skirt.  Tripping hazard.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

That was a bad fall. She claimed it WAS from her shoes. She kicked them off and went barefoot for the rest of her presentation.  Glad she didn't appear to be hurt.

I know I had to give up heels/wedges, or any shoes that didn't offer stability, when I was still young. One ankle sprain does the job for some.

As a senior, now, I would never try to wear them. It's not worth it.  Well, maybe for a quick photo op, then I'd throw them back in my costume box Woman Wink.

______

Quick photo op....you are funny, thanks for the humor!  We all need more of this!   Costume box.....Heart

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Beware of the new wide-leg pants and be sure they're not too long.  They'd be just like wearing a long skirt.  Tripping hazard.

Yup!  Mine aren't new but I can't tell you how many times I've tripped over my pant legs.   I sometimes trip with my shoes (not high heels, either!).  Heck, I'm a total klutz anyway so I also couldn't count how many times I've tripped over nothing.

It's sad and awful that some would laugh at somebody falling down.   I've known people like that before and they weren't nice people.  I've also had people laugh at me when I fell and it was mortifying.

Also, for some of us anyway, as we get to that age, falling is kind of scary.   About 2.5yrs ago I fell and broke my arm very badly.  It was horrible and very painful.  But the lasting pain for me has been that I am truly TERRIFIED of falling again.

My  left arm will never be the same because the only way to totally fix it was with surgery and I didn't have any insurance.  I'm left-handed so that's a drag for sure.  But I do feel for anybody, especially in my age group and beyond, who falls.  It's scary, painful, and awful. 

Honored Contributor

I read she tripped over a cord on the floor.  Hopefully she didn't break anything, BTDT, and that's NO fun.  How embarrassing that must have been for her.  Even if her show was about balance, tripping isn't the same thing.  Anyway..............

Honored Contributor

I had several wide leg kind of pajama like pants and I wore them a lot.

Then started noticing I kept tripping on them esp when using steps.

It almost seemed like they stretched so I gave them all away.

I hope no one trips on them!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"