Trusted Contributor

Icegoddess, these strategies sound great.  I was in a chair yoga class and it helped.  So did the Tai Chi classes. I can't wait to resume these classes again. I know some people dismiss these strategies but they are missing great health benefits.  

Esteemed Contributor

Glad she's ok.  It can happen quick.  Years ago I had on a pair of shoes with a platform heel.

A co-worker was at my desk and I got up to go to the fax machine.  As I rounded the corner my foot turned and I lost my balance. I pitched forward and hit my forehead on the corner of a chair rail. I ended up on my back laughing like a loon. Mt co-worker kept holding up her fingers and asking "how many fingers do you see?"  

When the boss heard about it his response I always knew she had a hard head.

Honored Contributor

I've been practicing yoga for 25 years and I'm sure that's the only reason I'm still erect. To me there's nothing like tree pose for balance. I did tune into the video about Oprah and I too think between the cord on the floor and those too long and flowy pants is what caused her fall. I could not wear 3 inch heels when I was young and I never wear pants that are too long. As far as Oprah being heavy, that was probably what saved her from breaking something. I could almost see her bounce off the floor. God love her.

Respected Contributor

i saw the video, and she went down hard. poor woman, had that been me, i would have peed my pants for sure. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Oprah's fall on stage.

[ Edited ]

It looks like she fell because she just tripped on her own foot because her shoe got caught up of the floor as she moved about. It's hard to see from the online videos if she was caught in her pants hem. It is ironic that she falls while giving a speech about balance. 

Respected Contributor

oh boy, do i ever need that!  i am currently in the process of some evaluation with an ENT because of a vestibular disorder.   i will be certain to ask about this (although he did mention some PT that might be helpful, and so maybe that is what he meant?  either way, balance class sounds like it would be VERY helpful for me.  thank you so very much @Zernia Rose  !

@Zernia Rose wrote:

I took a balance and vestibular class that involved building the body's core, positioning the body while standing and walking, along with awareness of head movements, and many other wonderful ideas and exercises.  If one is available near you, I highly advise it.  I have fallen more because of Achilles issues and problems with inner ear balance, even  while wearing flats. The techniques learned in the class helped me to minimize damage.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Icegoddess 

Your moves sound amazing.  I need to learn some simple moves to get started, but I don't think there is anything in my area.

Will check YouTube.

My balance is a bit o fan issue as I've aged.  I tried Yoga, but got queasy going through the motions.  I was always car sick as a child, so I have to be careful with that, too.

Always something!

@Witchy Woman you can start by just standing on one foot even if you need to have something to grab to steady yourself.  It's not something you need to go to a gym to do or even as part of an exercise routine, so I don't know why people say they don't have the time.  Just start at home.  The next important thing in my opinion is anything that keeps the core strong.  The stomach muscles support your back and the back muscles suport the stomach.  Planks, side planks, lay on your back with hands up in the air palms together and knees bent with feet flat on the floor.  Lift up your butt and extend one leg, then repeat with the other leg. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Oprah's fall on stage.

[ Edited ]

Wow! I like Oprah, and hate to see that she took such a hard tumble during a very worthwhile event, and am glad she was not seriously injured! She took it in stride though, with humor and dignity. Kudos to her for that! Laugh at YOURSELF before anyone else can.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Thank you for the encouragement.  I will start tomorrow!

I used to go to a local gym for spin class, but finally bought my own bike which I use daily.  And, I used to run 5 - 8 miles daily, so I am no stranger to exercise.  Gave up running when my knees and feet started complaining too much.

But, the balance thing has become more of an issue.  You are right, I can do it right in front of my computer and will look for some simple routines right away.

You've inspired me!

Thanks. Cat Happy

Respected Contributor
What's the big question here?

The poor woman simply stumbled, and fell. She good-naturedly laughed it off, and continued her talk--luckily, without suffering a Colles fracture, or worse.

What worries you masters you.