Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Linda Ronstadt was popular back in the day, but I think more popular in certain areas of the country.  Maybe bigger on the West coast than the East imo. 

I don't think it's fair to compare her w/the divas of today.  It's a different time now.  Seems to be many more women in the pop music biz now, much more competition to look a certain way and outdo one another.

I would like to see a documentary on her.  I'm sure she led a very interesting life. 

@jellyBEAN  She was very popular where I lived in the NY/NJ area.

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:
@colliemom4. Well stated. She wasnt like Beyonce because she didnt have a PR machine working on her image and promoting her like "Queen Bey" does. Nor did she wear sexy costumes and as someone else stated she wasnt a diva. But she was indeed a superstar 40 years ago and Glenn Frey and Don Henley were backups for her, later to become The Eagles.

And neither did Linda R have Beyonce's voice and creative talent.  

You essentially admitted you're largely unfamiliar with Linda Ronstadt and with all due respect you really don't know what you're talking about. Ronstadt in her prime could sing circles around Beyonce. That said, musical acts have changed markedly in the intervening generations. In Linda's time, it was more purely about the music. By the time Beyonce hit her stride it had become more about the show and the spectacle. Apples and oranges.

I don't see how your post addresses my comment regarding voice and creative talent.  Maybe you are unfamiliar with Beyonce.

Honored Contributor

Re: Linda Ronstadt

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:
@colliemom4. Well stated. She wasnt like Beyonce because she didnt have a PR machine working on her image and promoting her like "Queen Bey" does. Nor did she wear sexy costumes and as someone else stated she wasnt a diva. But she was indeed a superstar 40 years ago and Glenn Frey and Don Henley were backups for her, later to become The Eagles.

And neither did Linda R have Beyonce's voice and creative talent.  

You essentially admitted you're largely unfamiliar with Linda Ronstadt and with all due respect you really don't know what you're talking about. Ronstadt in her prime could sing circles around Beyonce. That said, musical acts have changed markedly in the intervening generations. In Linda's time, it was more purely about the music. By the time Beyonce hit her stride it had become more about the show and the spectacle. Apples and oranges.

I don't see how your post addresses my comment regarding voice and creative talent.  Maybe you are unfamiliar with Beyonce.

@NYCLatinaMe  I did go back and modify my post because I didn't mean it to sound as terse as it did. That said, I am familiar with both Beyonce and Linda and for my money, Linda, in her prime, had the far superior voice. Beyonce in her prime is the superior show-woman, because that's now far more a part of the medium than it was in Linda's day. When Linda was the reigning queen (and yes, she was...) people went to a concert for the music and pretty much the music alone... Not the costumes, the dancers, the lighting effects and so on...  As I said, the music business has changed markedly in the intervening years... Linda, could and did sing just about any kind of music and any genre and did so successfully, but her shows did not feature back-up dancers, acrobatics, pyrotechnics and so on... They're both talented and successful women and really, there's no need to be defensive on Beyonce's behalf. She's done quite well for herself, but she's far from the only female singer to have done so...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
@NYCLatinaMe "Ronstadt in her prime could sing circles around Beyonce." She certainly did address her voice.
Honored Contributor

I noticed on the Radio music a few nights ago, Taylor Swift used autotune. I've often wondered how she became so popular. I think her voice has gotten better but still its not spectacular but she must have an amazing marketing group because she has gotten more awards then anyone I can think of.

So many today use the aspect of the show and lights and showmanship and autotune (Katy Perry too!)

but I think Beyonce is in a class by herself. Ok I am a fan, esp since Single Ladies.

Though I do think that it has all changed today. Back then it really was about the voice and the music, even the bands were different than today.

I think some bands today have "it" and some just don't.

I think Lady Gaga is wonderful and Kelly Clarkson too! And of course Dolly always.

I like Carrie Underwood sometimes but a lot of her songs now sound the same.

Ok, that's my commentary on the music todaySmiley Happy, (since you asked. Oh wait, you didn't lol!Woman LOL 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Highlighted
Super Contributor

I only found her so-so, once she became political I was through listenting to anything about her.  Same as all the other entertainers, either entertain without the political lecture, or I don't care to watch or listen to you.

Honored Contributor
Vocal abilities

Ronstadt is far superior. Beyonce honestly is not that good, average at best. She just has great marketing and showmanship - but musically it’s all an illusion.
Esteemed Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Linda Ronstadt was popular back in the day, but I think more popular in certain areas of the country.  Maybe bigger on the West coast than the East imo. 

I don't think it's fair to compare her w/the divas of today.  It's a different time now.  Seems to be many more women in the pop music biz now, much more competition to look a certain way and outdo one another.

I would like to see a documentary on her.  I'm sure she led a very interesting life. 

It's on Jan 1 on CNN at 9PM ET.  It seems like she hit the height of her popularity in the late 70s, when I heard her.  There are other female singers from that time period that stick in my mind more than her like Carole King, Carly Simon, Debbie Harry, Donna Summer, and Gloria Gaynor.  I guess hers is just not my preferred type of music, but I'll probably watch and learn.  

Thanks, ladies for all the opinions.

Honored Contributor

@new nickname 4 wrote:

I only found her so-so, once she became political I was through listenting to anything about her.  Same as all the other entertainers, either entertain without the political lecture, or I don't care to watch or listen to you.

@new nickname 4  Everyone is political, as they should be. This is America and we are lucky to have those choices. I have posted this before that husbands family and our whole town are the opposite of us politically. Doesn’t mean I don’t like them, refuse to talk to them,etc. Their choice and it is respected.

I’m assuming if her politics were the same as yours it would be different.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe   I am 64  today And she was very popular when I was in my mid 20’s. 

You might have been too young.