Super Contributor

I watch or listen to entertainers for their - ENTERTAINMENT.  That doesn't mean they need to preach to me about their political views.  It doesn't matter which political view they support, it turns me off.

Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

"Queens" are not opening acts...

Jimi Hendrix opened for The Monkees

Wow!

And Prince opened for the Rolling Stones. @NYCLatinaMe 

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@NYCLatinaMe"Ronstadt in her prime could sing circles around Beyonce." She certainly did address her voice.

I don't know how circles characterizes a voice.  Beyonce sings with a more powerful voice that Linda R and has a bigger range.  And this is not the equipment.  The same can be said of other women of Linda Rs generation or earlier.  Linda R has a pleasant voice and can sing well, but I just don't notice anything that would make her voice like that of a "queen of rock and roll".  Think Aretha Franklin and Tina Turner, who had impressive voices and were around earlier.  I think Linda has a smaller range and less powerful voice, but maybe I'll just watch the documentary and learn something I don't know.  Hopefully they'll have some of her singing.

Esteemed Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

Wow!

Oh I wished I was there!  Super fan of Prince and Rolling Stones fan too!  Did you go?  When was that?  

Esteemed Contributor

The comparison made between Linda Ronstadt and Beyonce was not about vocal range but rather star power.  Vocally one cannot compare the two nor any of the other female singers listed on these posts.  All are talented.  Different strokes for different folks.

During her time, Linda was always on her A-game. Her career spanned over 30 yrs. I still enjoy her music.

Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

Wow!

Oh I wished I was there!  Super fan of Prince and Rolling Stones fan too!  Did you go?  When was that?  

@NYCLatinaMe- No, I didn't go. It was the early 80s at L.A. Coliseum.  My sister went.  Prince got booed.

Esteemed Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

1963: The Beatles for Roy Orbison
1966: The Doors for Them
1970: Elton John for Derek and the Dominos
1974: Queen for Mott the Hoople
1978: AC/DC for Rainbow
2008: Demi Lovato for the Jonas Brothers
2008: Taylor Swift for Rascal Flatts
2009: Katy Perry for No Doubt
2009: Lady Gaga for The Pussycat Dolls

Interesting.  I don't know if all the opening acts you mention are "queens" or not.  And who is Rainbow?  Anyway, it is common for musicians starting out to be opening acts.  I have no quarrel with that.  I thought the statement made by the poster was that Linda R was the opening act for Neil Young at the height of her career.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Linda Ronstadt was popular back in the day, but I think more popular in certain areas of the country.  Maybe bigger on the West coast than the East imo. 

I don't think it's fair to compare her w/the divas of today.  It's a different time now.  Seems to be many more women in the pop music biz now, much more competition to look a certain way and outdo one another.

I would like to see a documentary on her.  I'm sure she led a very interesting life. 

@jellyBEAN  She was very popular where I lived in the NY/NJ area.

@proudlyfromNJ 

And equally as popular here in the deep south (GA).

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Was today your birthday? If so Happy Birthday🎉

Esteemed Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

The comparison made between Linda Ronstadt and Beyonce was not about vocal range but rather star power.  ...

@qbetzforreal I agree, which was my point.  I just didn't care for the posters' statements that the only reason Beyonce is a "queen" is because of PR.  Bonnie Rait was, I think saying, that Linda was as big a star then as Beyonce is now.  Linda does have a lot of vocal fans on this board, but I just don't remember Linda being a dominant rock n roll artist.  She certainly had a lot of hits, which I would call pop.  Maybe it's just a matter of my taste in music.