Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,305
Registered: ‎06-08-2016

I had to go look, wow, so many good shows mentioned.

I loved all of them.

 

I still see Green Acres regularly on my on-screen guide, when I need a good laugh, I'll watch & I'm never disappointed.

 


@VaBelle35 wrote:

I liked Petticoat Junction better than Green Acres, cut they were both enjoyable.

 

I was looking up something about Petticoat Junction and found a page about something called the "rural purge" on television.  When they cancelled all these shows.

 

It's a wikipedia page, if anyone is interested in reading it.  I had not heard of that before.

 

I don't want to post a link because they ask for money periodically so I dont' know if that's allowed here.


 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,086
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

@AuntG wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

And early in the mornings on MeTV I love to watch Leave It To Beaver....


Same with me @Spurt . They are airing the final season of LITB in which Wally is preparing for college. In the evening, we've been watching Green Acres because our beloved Milwaukee Brewers were off due to Covid. Finally, baseball has resumed!


 

I happened to catch Leave It To Beaver this morning. Wally didn't get a scholarship to college BUT Lumpy Rutherford did. So Lumpy was Mr Hot Stuff. Wally even had a party for Lumpy. During the party Mr Rutherford called Lumpy to chew him out for getting a D in Math and losing the scholarship.

 

Priceless episode.

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,556
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

 

@drizzellla you big oaf, why didn't you tell me you got a D in mathematics?

Liked how Ward handled it behind the scenes to get Lumpy in summer school. He really was a good dad. I thought the Wally character was much like the dad. Beaver? Well I could see him getting into trouble well into his 30's. Not the brightest boy.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,086
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

@AuntG wrote:

 

@drizzellla you big oaf, why didn't you tell me you got a D in mathematics?

Liked how Ward handled it behind the scenes to get Lumpy in summer school. He really was a good dad. I thought the Wally character was much like the dad. Beaver? Well I could see him getting into trouble well into his 30's. Not the brightest boy.


 

 

I am sorry I missed that portion. My husband came back from a "bagel run" and he was chattering away. Thanks for filling me in.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 767
Registered: ‎06-04-2016

 

The Egg and I (March 21, 1947) | OCD Viewer

 

The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald (1946) | LiteraryLadiesGuide

 

If you enjoy Green Acres, you might enjoy this movie from the 1940s, based on the book by Betty MacDonald. Having the same premise as Green Acres, this movie introduces Ma and Pa Kettle.

 

Valued Contributor
Posts: 767
Registered: ‎06-04-2016

Re: Green Acre reruns

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I liked Petticoat Junction better than Green Acres, cut they were both enjoyable.

 

I was looking up something about Petticoat Junction and found a page about something called the "rural purge" on television.  When they cancelled all these shows.

 

It's a wikipedia page, if anyone is interested in reading it.  I had not heard of that before.

 

I don't want to post a link because they ask for money periodically so I dont' know if that's allowed here.


---

 

 

Quote attributed to Pat  B u t t ram:

 

"CBS canceled everything with a tree — including Lassie."

 

 

--edited because the forum blocked out his surname. Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,200
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Loved Leave it to Beaver.  Used to have it on while I fixed dinner when the kids were young, it was re-played on Nick or one of those channels.  My kids actually liked it.

 

One favorite episode was when Beaver went to play with the trash man's kids.  June was mortified at first.  But it had a good story line and ending.  Made me cry!

 

I'm recording all the Lucy Shows and Here's Lucy now.  Don't really remember watching those, only I Love Lucy.

 

She is quite the pistol, has lots of guest stars on both series.  She must have been well liked.  But boy she just can't help herself is someone isn't rail thin, they are the butt of her jokes.  Her voice is very deep and husky from cigarette smoking.  May have kept her slender, but probably did her in earlier than it had to be.

 

Love Eva Gabor, she reminds me of my MIL, same accent, too.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 767
Registered: ‎06-04-2016

@drizzellla wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

And early in the mornings on MeTV I love to watch Leave It To Beaver....


Same with me @Spurt . They are airing the final season of LITB in which Wally is preparing for college. In the evening, we've been watching Green Acres because our beloved Milwaukee Brewers were off due to Covid. Finally, baseball has resumed!


 

I happened to catch Leave It To Beaver this morning. Wally didn't get a scholarship to college BUT Lumpy Rutherford did. So Lumpy was Mr Hot Stuff. Wally even had a party for Lumpy. During the party Mr Rutherford called Lumpy to chew him out for getting a D in Math and losing the scholarship.

 

Priceless episode.

 


---

 

A couple of years ago, I received the complete dvd set of Leave It To Beaver for my birthday. 

 

The episode you reference is one of my favorites. Eddie Haskell has always been my favorite character, but the Rutherfords were such fun.

 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,641
Registered: ‎03-27-2011

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I find myself having to fast forward when they call someone on a rotary phone and you have to watch them dial all the numbers.  LOL


 

@VaBelle35  DH was watching Green Acres the other day and I said if it was on in this day and age the writers would have to eliminate the 'up the telephone pole '  scenes because they would have cell phones. That is as long as Hootersvile  had cell towers .Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor
Posts: 17,491
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I find myself having to fast forward when they call someone on a rotary phone and you have to watch them dial all the numbers.  LOL


 

@VaBelle35  DH was watching Green Acres the other day and I said if it was on in this day and age the writers would have to eliminate the 'up the telephone pole '  scenes because they would have cell phones. That is as long as Hootersvile  had cell towers .Smiley Wink


 

Whoever came up with that was a comic genius.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN