Super Contributor

For " How to get away with Murder" Fans

I have been tested to have farily high intelligence, but for the of me find it so hard to follow the plot and flashbacks  going on in this series. LOVE Viola Davis, love the whole idea of it, but it makes me a little crazy trying to keep on point with the story line. Are any of you having the same problem?

Spoiler
Woman Indifferent
Respected Contributor

Re: For " How to get away with Murder" Fans

I have the problem too, I had it last year.  I was lost for the first 5 or 6 episodes.  Last year, I almost gave up on it but I hung in and  finally the back & forth plot just gelled. I got.  I assume it will be the same for me this year.   

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@pegomyheart wrote:

I have been tested to have farily high intelligence, but for the of me find it so hard to follow the plot and flashbacks  going on in this series. LOVE Viola Davis, love the whole idea of it, but it makes me a little crazy trying to keep on point with the story line. Are any of you having the same problem?

Spoiler
Woman Indifferent

@pegomyheart@Chrystaltree2

Yes... and I consider myself an intelligent person, too!  However, I THINK I will try to relax this year as I have come to understand that it is created with this in mind.  It is like a jigsaw puzzle and this is what I do see... clips and shots of this and that NOT PIECED TOGETHER.  

So, since this is done on purpose.... I decided last year to sit back and relax about it.

DH occasionally would say... OK... now do you remember this or that... well, I DID remember at least.  At the time, I didn't remember how it fit together because it was created to give the viewer only bits and pieces not sewn together.

If you are like me, you are used to a story thread weaving its way into a smooth piece.  I don't know why I keep going back for more... I know for sure I wouldn't be able to add a BUNCH like this to the list!  I'd lose my EVER LOVIN' MIND!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

I am used to the current-forward clips now.  I do wish they would turn on the lights turn more often!!

Honored Contributor

I gave up on the show midway through the first season because it was all too crazy and kept changing direction.

Every Shonda Rhimes show I've started watching I've eventually given up on because it got way too crazy, but this one I gave on sooner than any of the others. There's drama and then there's DRAMA and all her shows are too dramatic for me. She hires great writers and actors, but then they all go off the deep end with bombs, murder, insanity, plane crashes, babies cut out of mothers, etc.

It always ends up reminding me of the way ER had a helicopter accident take off Rocket Romano's arm one season and then killed him with another helicopter falling on him the very next season. That was so over the top and ridiculous and I feel like eventually every episode of a Shonda Rhimes series gets that way.

Valued Contributor

Oh, I feel so much better now!!!!   I am the only one in my family who watches it and I thought I was losing my brain power!!!!  WHEW!!!! I am so glad to hear I am not alone in my confusion!!  I DVR'd the first two episodes and kept them, in case I need to "rewatch" to really figure out just what the h---- is happening!!!

Spoiler
Smiley Sad
Regular Contributor

So glad I'm not alone in trying to follow this show!  I still don't understand the whole Rebecca storyline and if she's dead or alive!  Some of those law students drive me crazy.  And Frank mumbles so much I can barely understand him.

But Viola Davis is spectacular.  When she took off her wig and makeup, my jaw dropped open.  She deserves that Emmy Award for sure.

Valued Contributor

Ow, boy, do I agree w/you.  I'm pretty close to throwing in the towel.

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Valued Contributor

I'm in the same boat!  I can't keep the law students' names straight or follow what is happening half the time!  I have no Idea why I am still watching this show.  I guess I keep hoping it will all come together at some point.

I'm of above average intelligence too, but I sure couln't pass a quiz on this show!  Smiley Embarassed

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Honored Contributor

My philosophy now that I know I'm not alone has been to relax.

for me, it is fun and all-consuming and I know it will either come together now or later.

Re-watching the recorded episode might yield more understanding of how the clues fit together, but for now I will just "get what I get." 

The  flashes previous scenes that are included in the show are usually only "teasers."

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~