Honored Contributor

new shipping and handling rates

I just noticed the New S&H Rates banner at the top of this page. Starting today, the charges have been lowered for most items. The powers-that-be must have listened to customers' requests, and now they're trying to better compete with online websites. This would seem like a good thing. But upon further reading, l see that the charges won't be refunded any more if you return an item, unless it's defective or the wrong item. So one hand giveth and the other hand taketh away!
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Re: new shipping and handling rates

I knew it was too good to be true, I didn't notice the caveat about the original S&H not being refunded so thanks for calling that to my attention. People will not be so quick to send things back, but they will also be more careful about buying to begin with, I know I will.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm posting my thoughts on this on all applicable threads, because I don't like this new policy, never asked for it, and I hope someone at QVC sees my comments:

There's an old saying... be careful what you wish for. So many people wanted cheaper shipping, and this is the result. This is going to be much worse for the buyer, and it may backfire on QVC.

I've never had a big problem with the shipping charges on most things I've purchased. And since there have been so many problems with inconsistent sizing on apparel, I would rather pay the higher shipping and have it refunded. Sometimes I've had to get both a small and a medium, because I never know what will fit, even though I always check the "click here" measurements. I bought five pairs of the straight leg D&Co How Smooth jeans when they came out, thinking they would be the same as the original boot cut in sizing. Wrong! They were made differently and I had to send them all back and order up a size. Under this new policy, at $3.00 per pair and about an $8.95 return shipping label, it would have cost me about $25.00 to return them. And then I would have to pay shipping for the new order. Not me... not this girl!

I'm glad I've already bought pretty much everything I'm going to need for a good while, both winter and summer. It would have to be something pretty darned special for me to buy and know that the shipping won't be refunded if I have to return it, even if it is lower. I will continue to buy things like Purity, Bare Minerals, etc., that I'm sure I will keep, but that's it.

Going to take stock of my closet and, if I do need anything, I will be going back to the B&M stores.. QVC has pretty much seen the last of my money!

You can't reason with unreasonable people.

Valued Contributor

I read that email closely and I am not sure how I feel about this. My bottom line is going to be if the customer service I receive begins to become unsatisfactory I will take my business elsewhere even if I have to pay extra for the for the good customer service. To date I have only had one bad customer service experience with QVC over the years and they went out of their way to rectify the situation for me. Something in my gut is telling me this change may not be as wonderful as it first appears. Time will tell and I really hope I am 100% wrong... Smiley Happy
Valued Contributor

I like the new policy. I see it from their point of view. So many people return 50% or more purchases. Lots of these things are worn and cannot be resold. I only buy what I'm sure of so return little. I think this is their goal, not so many returns. If you are hard to please, shop elsewhere.

Esteemed Contributor

It's not necessarily a case of being "hard to please"... it's a case of QVC having such inconsistent sizing in so many of their fashion items. When I bought the new How Smooth straight leg jeans, which I THOUGHT would fit the same as the original boot cuts but just have a straighter bottom, I was so wrong. The sizing chart said they were the same, but I couldn't wear them. I had to order up a whole size, and they changed the rise measurement and I had to go to a Tall for the rise, and then had to hem them up. THAT was NOT my fault. And when I ordered up and got the five pairs of replacement jeans, three of them fit, but the black and the dark indigo were so much tighter in the waist than the other three, I had to send those back as well. THAT was NOT my fault. I was so upset and angry that the Q wound up paying for me to ship all the ones that didn't fit back to them! How can you send a customer five pairs of jeans, all the same size, the same style, the same item number, and three fit and two don't?

I'm sure now it will be a real hassle if something like that happened. I've spent loads of money with QVC, but that is coming to a screeching halt!

Respected Contributor

For clothing purchases, I will ONLY buy items that I have previously purchased (in other colors) in fear of new items not fitting .... which is usually 80% of the case! I have returned items stating that the measurement does not match the sizing chart, and was not charged for return; thus was able to mark it as "defective."

Esteemed Contributor

This new S&H will work well for people who buy little and not much in clothing, shoes. I have spent big bucks returning, and just recently returned three pair of Clarks shoes. And no, I did not wear them for 30 days. In fact, I tried ONE on; it didn't fit; and shipped it back. All three Clarks, and all three different fits!!! Clothing is the same. Even in the same brand, D&Co. for instance, the same item number and different sizing, not to mention the difference in different brands.

I've never abused anything and return it in the same condition received. Some here think there's great "abuse" going on. I don't believe this. Some abuse is to be expected by any company and handled individually.

Look at the no longer reduced shipping with buying more than one of the same item! Now, really, how much extra S&H does it take to ship two of the same item.

I do believe I will be visiting my B&M and online more, and do away with S&H. I will still shop at the Q, but much less and more sure. I have enjoyed the "convenience," but quality and value can be found many places. I'm willing to pay for convenience, until I feel I'm being played.

Contributor

On 2/3/2015 cottage hill said:

For clothing purchases, I will ONLY buy items that I have previously purchased (in other colors) in fear of new items not fitting .... which is usually 80% of the case! I have returned items stating that the measurement does not match the sizing chart, and was not charged for return; thus was able to mark it as "defective."

Some clothing items do not have 'click here' measurements. On purpose, perhaps?

Trusted Contributor

I think the discontinuation of refunding shipping is a good thing. I constantly see posts from people who talk about sending large quantities of things back, and this drives up the cost for everyone.

While I agree that QVC should have accurate sizing information, we all know that different designs fit people differently, and sizes vary from designer to designer. Shoppers run into this n B&M stores as well. If someone is hard to fit or unsure about the fit, perhaps online shopping is not the best option. Besides, quite frankly, even returning items and not getting a shipping refund would be similar in the amount of time and money wasted travelling to many b&M stores.