Respected Contributor

Re: Please stop spending time mentioning how many are sold - It makes QVC hosts seem pushy!

I agree!  Spending time telling how many have been sold or are left just wastes time.  Some hosts do this constantly, while thankfully others never.  It really makes no difference to me as a customer as long as my size isn't gone.  I do want to see the size ticker at the bottom of the screen.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Please stop spending time mentioning how many are sold - It makes QVC hosts seem pushy!

When I worked at a high end store and my raises were based on what I sold, you can be sure I could be pushy.

When you come out of a fitting room and all the sales people say "Oh, that looks great on you!" when you know it doesn't, they are being pushy.

Why do the hosts now say to be sure to complete your cart?  It's to make the sale.  

When I order on line and don't complete the sale, I get several emails reminding me that I have items in my cart.  

It's retail, whether on TV, online or a B&M store.  

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs   I have taken many courses and attended many sessions on how to close a sale.

The seller is taught to close on the sales as soon as possible.  The Hosts mention how many are left and how many have been sold to get you to think the item will sell out soon. They also convince you to buy because thousands of people already purchased this...so the item is hot and coveted.

I agree with you that they should spend more time on sizing, but many people who always buy their clothing on QVC  are well aware of what size they wear in each line they offer.

Have you ever seen the hoarders when have unopened QVC boxes in their homes and garages?  They ordered so many things and when it comes they don't even care.

They just get so caught up in buying.  Google QVC hoarding.  

Many elderly women have racked up tens of thousands of dollars of cc bills buying from QVC.

Many are widows who just got life insurance money.  They spend it on TV and now have very little to live on.

There is a true addiction watching QVC and other shopping channels and buying things they don't need. It's truly sad.

Esteemed Contributor

So irritating to interrupt the vendor with this. and, I don't believe it anyway. A huge turnoff.

Esteemed Contributor

@granddi wrote:

I don't see. the "countdown clock" as much anymore. 

At least if there was a countdown clock in the corner of the screen we wouldn't have to hear the host talking about available inventory.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@tends2dogs   I have taken many courses and attended many sessions on how to close a sale.

The seller is taught to close on the sales as soon as possible.  The Hosts mention how many are left and how many have been sold to get you to think the item will sell out soon. They also convince you to buy because thousands of people already purchased this...so the item is hot and coveted.

I agree with you that they should spend more time on sizing, but many people who always buy their clothing on QVC  are well aware of what size they wear in each line they offer.

Have you ever seen the hoarders when have unopened QVC boxes in their homes and garages?  They ordered so many things and when it comes they don't even care.

They just get so caught up in buying.  Google QVC hoarding.  

Many elderly women have racked up tens of thousands of dollars of cc bills buying from QVC.

Many are widows who just got life insurance money.  They spend it on TV and now have very little to live on.

There is a true addiction watching QVC and other shopping channels and buying things they don't need. It's truly sad.

Yes, it is sad.  Hoarding is a sickness and that could be a whole other thread.

I pretty much know what size I wear on QVC and HSN, but inseams aren't always the same and it is an important factor in ordering for me.  I always double check garment measurements before hitting  SUBMIT, but if the host says the available inseams are not what I want, I won't bother looking into it any further.  

I hope in the many courses you have attended, they didn't teach salespeople to talk about their families, their most recent vacations, or their children's accomplishments.  If I am in a B & M making a purchase or watching home shopping, I don't care if you just got back from the happiest place in the world. Woman Wink.....just the facts, please~

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Occasional Contributor

When qvc first started it was NOT  that hard sell. The hosts then would talk about products. They also used to have little quizzes/games for those who called in to get some little extra. Now it's SELL SELL SELL. GOING AWAY, HURRY!HURRY!HURRY! Like freaking carnival barkers.

Respected Contributor

A sales person pushing merchandise!  What will they think of next?Woman LOL

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs   Actually,they do teach people to get personal with their buyers.  You are supposed to find a common thread and run with it.

it could be children, pets, a hobby or sport.  You get down to the same level playing field with your buyer.

The problem with tv shopping is that the seller has so many people watching and they couldn't possibly know how to connect with each person.

They will however, connect with some of them.  Mary Beth is family orientated, Kirsten is the health expect, David is the kitchen expert, when Lisa worked there she was the fashion expert, Carolyn was the pet mama, etc.

They are trying to be relatable to certain groups.  It's a common selling technique.

Valued Contributor

Oh I so agtree.....I was going to start a comment on that myself......who cares how many have been sold in 15 minutes on an hour and who cares how many are left and who cares if is the only order of the year.....all this is is stretching out the time on the  air for a possible sale. For me it is almost impossible tyo watch QVC anymore.....they are not the same company that styarted off in the 80's and that is probably why sles are down.  Also too much pressure.  Yesterday6 I called and bought the TSV tennis shoes and the operated started to try and  sell me MENS shoes.  How dare they start that ******!