Valued Contributor

I would love to know the process whereby QVC names the colors of items and who they find to do this. What credentials they use. And why the heck they do not let the designer or manufacturer name them. 

Today, there was a purse that was clearly bronze color and it was named pewter! Clearly not a pewter! The host was embarrased, as is usually the case when this happens and had to clearly clear up the issue so the customer could order what she was seeing. The designer bewildered.

My suggestion is that QVC totally revamp their color naming process and get people on the committee or whatever they use you really truly know color. Artists usually do for example. 

Trusted Contributor

The whole rainbow surely makes referering difficult beyond modern living colours, that is why they need to have an equivalent casual colour with soul.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Honored Contributor

It drives fashion designers crazy. Let them name the color of their items.

Valued Contributor
@Whosits You're so right. Many times I have seen an item that was clearly a different color than what they named it. Unfortunately QVC has MUCH bigger problems than that right now.
Honored Contributor

Actually, I always thought that the manufacturer named the colors.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not sure it is QVC naming the colors. I say this because I deal with a lot of fabric manufacturers and the colors are eithered named or numbered by them or the designer of the fabric.

Honored Contributor

It's probably the MBAs in the Marketing Department.  After all, you need proper training to pick a name and color that sells.  Smiley Wink

I like when hosts disagree with the named color.  "This says "midnight blue" but it's really more of a light gray."

Honored Contributor

I don't know who does it but there's a method to their madness.  A color is given a name once and only that exact color will ever have that name.  Take lapis blue for instance.  If you order any lapis blue clothing it will be exactly the same as all other lapis blue.  Because of this you'll always know what to expect and you'll know it will match your other lapis blue pieces.

Isn't that convenient?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor
@Kachina624 Does that apply to all brands? For example if we buy a lapis blue top in Joan Rivers will it match lapis blue in Susan Graver? Or is it exclusive to one brand?
Respected Contributor

Approx. 100 years ago, I was shopping via a paper catalog - no internet yet.  I still remember puzzling over the color names - just what was the name of the brown choice anyway? - and getting mightly annoyed.   

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York