Valued Contributor

Re: Classifying contributors (posters)

This heart business is deeply offensive.  It is contrary to the "Community Standards" as I read them.  I truly find the whole business immoral.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand what you mean when you say that you find it immoral?

Trusted Contributor

I am new to these boards but back in the early 90's I was on the QVC boards. So easy and fun. No bashing of posters. We valued everyone's opinion. I have been watching these boards for a long time and if you are new some people get nasty and think your opinion means nothing. Sad. I love the different topics and comments. Some are funny and some are very interesting. It's nice to see other peoples views on things. Maybe not how I think but that's ok I'm not perfect . I am not young but I am not old. I respect everyone on these boards after all we have a right to our opinions and give the poster respect which they deserve.. Who cares how many posts the best of the best made. If you made hundreds and hundreds of posts or a newbie like me just enjoy and maybe you can learn something new here. I know I did!!
Esteemed Contributor

@JGalt wrote:

This heart business is deeply offensive.  It is contrary to the "Community Standards" as I read them.  I truly find the whole business immoral.

I take what you've said to mean that the hearts and even the classifications shows some kind of favortism, the very thing they (at least on the surface) seemed like they were attempting to avoid.

To me there isn't much point to know why certain people have tagged things, how many hearts they got, and what kind of contributor we are. Are they going by dates or how many posts? Or, maybe someone judged how many helpful other contributions we've made? It is just all a little bizarre. 

The old Board simply stated member since (date) and # of posts, But who really cared about that? Except for us to recognize the low posters & shills who've continually slipped in their advertisement.

This is a small potatoes complaint, but I do wish they would eliminate all those non-important things.

Contributor

It doesn't bother me one way or the other; if someone wants to be a super contributor so be it. Apparently I'll never fall into that category. I've been on these boards for many years. I usually read for the most part and post.only occasionally.

That being said they changed the amount of my posts to three, it was probably closer to 1003, I hope I won't be shunned for such a low amount of posts. LOL I'm kidding!

What a disorganized mess they've created and the amount of frustration they're causing everyone.

Hopefully with all the complaints they will do a little reorganizing.

Suzette

Trusted Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

I like the idea of the hearts (although I'd rather see a different icon)  in that we can let someone know we agree with their post, because it simplifies the thread and eliminates all the quotes and "ITA's." 

But I say that with an emphatic proviso:  I like the option being there within the thread...  but not as something to be added to some sort of "tote board" or "leaderboard" popularity contest.  I think that's a bad idea.

The displays of who's tagged the most, or "hearted" the most, or the "contributor" notations make me extremely uncomfortable, and I wish we had the option to opt out of all of those.

"I Heart you and ITA".....seems they are wanting to be a FB type of  forum now. We were content, or I was content with the less is more type of forum that we had. Not sure what is going to change from this point..

Guess I'll just ride it out and watch to see if any familiar changes are made, and then make my decision of how I will participate with the new forum.

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Honored Contributor

tsj178 wrote:

I think this is due to some super posters always attacking some posters for have low #'s. If you have a low number, you can't have an opinion?

actually, i have seen it BOTH ways.......others who attack posters with high #'s is quite frequent also.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor

@tsj178 wrote:

I think this is due to some super posters always attacking some posters for have low #'s. If you have a low number, you can't have an opinion?

Or even worse (and I have seen this happen a few times here), if you have a "low" (define "low") post count, you are labled a troll. Not cool.

Respected Contributor

With fewer than 2,000 posts over a number of years, I don't have a clue how I rated as a "Super Contributor."  In truth, I'd much rather be considered a "Reasonable Contributor."  They're more rare, you know.  Woman Wink

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Frequent Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@tsj178 wrote:

actually, i have seen it BOTH ways.......others who attack posters with high #'s is quite frequent also.

I've seen that too sunshine45. Some posters with high post counts are sometimes singled out and told to "get off the computer", "go outside and get some fresh air", "you must not have any friends" and...wait for it: "get a life". I don't think post count has anything to do with it; I think it has to do with a poster who has an axe to grind with another poster.