Honored Contributor

Classifying contributors (posters)

I am not chomping at the bit to be a supercontributor or any other sort of contributor.  Why do we have to be classified?  Why do we even need avatars?  Yes, some people like them, but they are basically just more clutter on the page to me.

Some of these software programs being used now seem to be for those who need constant reassurance and hearts and notifications of responses to posts and all the rest. (Yes, I have changed my preferences.)  My point is why do we need these in the first place?

What adults need are simple basic categories and subcategories like we had before as well as simple (and not EXPANDED with lots of white space) pages PLUS the ability to find our own last posts (and this means responses to posts, not just original posts).

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Re: Classifying contributors (posters)

I agree Homegirl.  To top off the visual and navigational horrors in this new forum....titles, hearts, tags, avatars all create a junior high environment.  I've been complaining all day.  Maybe it's time to throw in the towel.

Valued Contributor

I'm actually embarrassed to be called a supercontributor. Yes, I have been a poster since the very old Shop Talk days, so what.

I do have to say I like the heart button which is akin to the like button on Facebook, b/c there are many posts that could have been posted by me & I would rather do a heart/like rather than do a post w/ITA to the poster.
Honored Contributor

What comes after super?

Super Duper? Cat Surprised

Valued Contributor

I totally agree!  It seems to be turning the whole forum into a popularity contest.  Why do we need "most hearted" contributors?? 

And I know the posting history is all messed up now, but if somebody couldn't look at the number of posts attributed to a member, and know that somebody with 35,000 posts is a "super contributor" without having it pointed out to them, well then I don't know . . . . .

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Honored Contributor

I feel its more 'goodies' to make us feel good about ourselves. I don't need a title below my nick indicating that I am Super or a Contributor.

The avatars are a nice touch and I do like the autosave feature on the threads.

I dislike that my spell check isn't working with firefox browser.

I kan tiepe lyke this and the red line doesn't show my errors! Woman LOL

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

I feel its more 'goodies' to make us feel good about ourselves. I don't need a title below my nick indicating that I am Super or a Contributor.

The avatars are a nice touch and I do like the autosave feature on the threads.

I dislike that my spell check isn't working with firefox browser.

I kan tiepe like this and the red line doesn't show my errors! Woman LOL

spell check is working in Firefox for me,

doesn't work the way it did before though, click on the abc icon using the rich text format and the spelling errors will be underlined in red,

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

What comes after super?

Super Duper? Cat Surprised

Super Dee Duper comes to my mind.  And I visualize all of us in Super Woman costumes. 

Cat LOL

I kinda like the hearts from the standpoint of letting a poster know that I agree with or like what they said, without having to reply each and every time which becomes repetitive.  I view the hearts from a functional standpoint, not as a popularity thing, but maybe it's just how I think. 

Slinking back to Home forum now, since I'm still pretty clueless how to navigate this place at this point. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like the idea of the hearts (although I'd rather see a different icon)  in that we can let someone know we agree with their post, because it simplifies the thread and eliminates all the quotes and "ITA's." 

But I say that with an emphatic proviso:  I like the option being there within the thread...  but not as something to be added to some sort of "tote board" or "leaderboard" popularity contest.  I think that's a bad idea.

The displays of who's tagged the most, or "hearted" the most, or the "contributor" notations make me extremely uncomfortable, and I wish we had the option to opt out of all of those.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Frequent Contributor

I think this is due to some super posters always attacking some posters for have low #'s. If you have a low number, you can't have an opinion?