Valued Contributor

Used to be a big QVC shopper years ago.  Between the high prices and slow shipping I seldom buy anymore.  Without a doubt QVC has the worst shipping of any place I shop. Now since HSN and QVC are owned by the same company HSN has downhill. Same programming and high shipping.  

Regular Contributor

I posted about the prices and quality fairly recently, but just want to say again - all prices are up, and virtually all clothing is made in China now. That is one reason why SG always yells out when something is USA made. I did receive a top recently made in El Salvador - would rather keep those poor folks working although I am sure they do not make much. If you are old enough to remember clothing made in USA - all had the ILGWU union label in them - clothing was well made in the garment district in NYC and other places.  No more!

So whether you shop Macy's, QVC, Walmart or wherever - virtually nothing made in USA- I used to enjoy shopping dept. stores. Talbots on sale twice a year bu times change. TP did not cost what it costs now either, did it????

I agree, the prices have increased and having a lower price at QVC was an attraction. 

I now look elsewhere because sometimes there's a better price at the mall.  I think QVC sold us out by getting all these big designers and charging higher prices for their clothing,etc.  Frankly I am tired of seeing the same old vendors on the show.  They should search for new companies to make things more interesting and bring newer products to purchase.

Also, off topic....someone should talk to Susan Graver.  I tried watching today but had to turn the channel.  I couldn't listen to her and Pat James at the same time, how rude! Poor Pat had to keep hesitating in the middle of her thought. Just saying.

Esteemed Contributor

@bakergirl wrote:

I posted about the prices and quality fairly recently, but just want to say again - all prices are up, and virtually all clothing is made in China now. That is one reason why SG always yells out when something is USA made. I did receive a top recently made in El Salvador - would rather keep those poor folks working although I am sure they do not make much. If you are old enough to remember clothing made in USA - all had the ILGWU union label in them - clothing was well made in the garment district in NYC and other places.  No more!

So whether you shop Macy's, QVC, Walmart or wherever - virtually nothing made in USA- I used to enjoy shopping dept. stores. Talbots on sale twice a year bu times change. TP did not cost what it costs now either, did it????

@bakergirl wrote:

Very few of the Q's items (clothing in this case) are made in the US. Its so much cheaper to have them made overseas, where the labor is pennies. There are many inconsistencies in sizing that go along with that - and that means increased returns for the customer. Susan Graver's tops are all made of polyester, and cost over $50.00 per top. I didn't see one nice, heavy sweater on QVC, and I've searched. The clothing must merit them a high profit margin, or they would change. 

Valued Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

A lot of what Q sells is imported from other countries.  A chunk of the higher prices is due to tariffs. Retailers are passing those costs along to consumers.  

I am not noticing a large increase in prices at the b\m stores I shop; be it Norstroms, Macys, Kohls, Boscovs, Walmart, etc.  It's only at QVC that the price increase are off the chart.

Occasional Contributor

Yes, there has been an increase in some tariffs, but I feel QVC is taking advantage of the situation! Their percentage of increase is more than other brick and mortar and online shops are charging. Check out HSN prices - their sister company - their increases are reasonable. Why doesn't QVC consider having their garments made in Indonesia, Viet Nam, Cambodia, and other foreign countries to reduce costs?

Esteemed Contributor

@Harvard99 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Before you throw more brickbats, consider the tariffs that went into effect late last summer.  That wasn't QVC's fault.  I notice that the price of appliances has zoomed up too.  Everything made in China, including most clothing, is up in price.

Is there really a tariff on clothing???? Does anyone know the facts?   I honestly feel that every time this sort thing hits the media, it's an opportunity for every manufacturer that manufactures anything to just gouge the customer.  JMHO

Excerpt from:  apparelnews.net/news/2018/mar/22/tariffs-china-could-broadly-affect-clothing-and-fo/

Imported apparel already is one of the heaviest-taxed categories brought into the United States. The average tariff ranges from 10.8 percent to 14.2 percent while the average tariff on other imported goods is less than 1.4 percent, the trade groups said.

They pointed out that ski jackets, baby garments and tennis shoes face U.S. duties as high as 27.7 percent, 32 percent and 67.5 percent, respectively, but there is no reason to do this because there is little production of these items in the United States.

Duties on apparel, footwear and travel goods account for more than 22 percent of all tariffs collected by the United States. “And to be clear, such duties are paid by U.S. workers, U.S. consumers and U.S. companies—not China,” the letter said.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Contributor

There are plenty of brick and mortar stores, online shops and even Evine and HSN have not seen the huge increase in prices.  I can go into a local high end department store and spend less. Many of the  fashion pieces in particular are created by QVC to only be sold at QVC so  is not another company represented that needs paid. Gili and Denim and Company are examples I believe. Regardless, the price increases across the board are just too high. This is a common complaint and I hope QVC and the new executive teams and long time staff start listening to the customers.

Regular Contributor
The tax is based on price only, s&h is separate and I'm not even sure it varies based on where it's going
Valued Contributor

Amazon is raising many of its prices too.  Seems that lately - you have to look at third party vendors which I haven't found very reliable.