Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for August 2020!!!

[ Edited ]

WFT news/notes----

Jonathan Allen has a left leg injury ("got rolled up on") but it doesn't appear serious although he was helped off the field, he was ready to go back out there and should be fine.....

Some big hitting and collisions this practice!

Other observations:

- Haskins poised mostly, 6 of 9 with nice TD throw to Inman -

Great plays from fan favorite Moreland, should have picked Haskins -

Wes Martin back at LG -

Chase Young with swallowing hit on Peterson at goal line, good pushback on olineman, Morgan Moses too.... 

QB Kyle Allen continues to struggle 2 of 5, second-team settled for FG each trip

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman  @teganslaw 

OH OH........Eagles QB Wentz is day to day with a lower body injury!!!!  With 2 weeks to go until the season, this could be trouble for the team..... Nate Sudfeld better be ready to go...and can Wentz EVER stay healthy?!?!?

The Wentz injury sounds very minor. He's at practice and being studied by the reporters who can see no limp or issue. Possibly more serious is Jalen Reagor went down with a left arm/left shoulder injury and was taken inside. Sudfeld and Hurts have done well filling in for Wentz which is encouraging. The young o-linemen have been getting pushed around a bit more than I'd like in this practice, but it's good experience for them. I'd like to see them a bit better in two weeks though.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Jalen Reagor's shoulder injury won't require surgery, but he'll be out for four weeks which means he'll miss the first two games. Pity.

The Jaguars are serious about getting that first overall pick in the draft in 2021. They've now cut Leonard Fournette after trading away Yannick Ngakoue. Players? We don't need no stinking players! It'll be interesting to see how they do this year.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Trey Burton suffered a strained calf injury in his left leg and had to be helped off the field. He'll miss several weeks. 

WR Parris Campbell is in concussion protocol after being in a minor car accident. He is day to day. 

The Colts first game is at Jacksonville, so I like that the Jaguars are releasing players. It will make the competition a bit easier. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I like Trey Bruton. He could be a big help for the Colts. He put himself in a bad spot going to the Bears from the Eagles. Trey is more of a pass-catching tight end and the Bears are a run-first team. I wasn't surprised they moved on from him quickly. Frank Reich should use him better and get more from him after knowing him with the Eagles. Trey's a good tight end. He just needs to be in the right system. Chicago was not the right system for him. The key with that type of injury is to get it right before getting back on the field. You can't get back out there at 90% or even 95% or you're apt to reinjure it. You need to be at 100%. Take an extra week or two to get it right if need be, because that extra week or two could save you from being lost for six to eight weeks or longer.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

Just love this gem from the Cowboys ---The Cowboys  televised their practice but no live plays were shown. Instead, the audience heard Michael Irvin and company talk about the action. Not only that, but they took numbers and names off the jerseys, making it harder to distinguish the players.-Jerry explained--"We went with no names and no numbers on their jerseys for tonight’s televised practice because they didn’t want to expose their young players to other teams who could be watching."

But wouldnt that also hurt the coaches in determining which young players to cut and which to keep on their roster?????   🤔

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

The argument of not exposing young players is odd. The Cowboys would have to cut them to expose them. It's yet another player unfriendly move by the organization. If you're a young guy who gets cut, you want other teams to be able to see your film and possibly sign you. If the Cowboys are preventing that from happening then all they're doing is punishing kids who they've signed. If I'm any other NFL team competing to sign undrafted kids, I'd be reminding them of this policy and advising them to avoid signing in Dallas. Agents will be noting this also and advising their clients of this practice. It's petty and stupid. The Cowbots are essentially telling kids, "We don't want you, and we'll do our best to make sure no one else signs you." Dumb!

The Eagles' coaches and front office will often refer a kid who has potential to another team and help sell that team on picking the guy up. They want the kids to have success. That Cowboy policy is just stupid and counterproductive over the long term. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

The argument of not exposing young players is odd. The Cowboys would have to cut them to expose them. It's yet another player unfriendly move by the organization. If you're a young guy who gets cut, you want other teams to be able to see your film and possibly sign you. If the Cowboys are preventing that from happening then all they're doing is punishing kids who they've signed. If I'm any other NFL team competing to sign undrafted kids, I'd be reminding them of this policy and advising them to avoid signing in Dallas. Agents will be noting this also and advising their clients of this practice. It's petty and stupid. The Cowbots are essentially telling kids, "We don't want you, and we'll do our best to make sure no one else signs you." Dumb!

The Eagles' coaches and front office will often refer a kid who has potential to another team and help sell that team on picking the guy up. They want the kids to have success. That Cowboy policy is just stupid and counterproductive over the long term. 

@gardenman 

Just yet another ODD Cowboy quirk, but like you said they are going to alleniate players and agents, especially the UFA..... Most coaches in the NFL tell the young players, you didnt make our team, but you still have talent and could catch on with another team, we wish you the best...........

Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

The Cowboys werent the first ones coming up with this idea of NO NUMBERS---Guess who started it????

After the Cowboys came out in blank jerseys for their Sunday practice, some alert readers pointed out the league changed the rules a few years ago when the Patriots did the same.

In 2016, Bill Belichick followed something Chuck Noll did years ago with the Steelers by taking the numbers off the practice jerseys of the Patriots during the offseason program. The idea was players would get to know each other better without a cheat sheet.

The NFL indeed did institute a new rule after that, requiring all players to wear jersey numbers while on the field for Organized Team Activities and mandatory minicamps. The rule was put in place to make it easier to monitor compliance with rules regarding player practices, including ensuring injured players aren’t practicing.

The rule, though, says nothing about training camp.

According to the NFL, teams must begin utilizing numbers on their jerseys on Monday, Sept. 7, the start of Week One preparations.