Honored Contributor

I am starting to think that it should be in a bubble like basketball. Today's NY Yankee, Philadelphia game has been postponed due to the fact that the Marlins who use the visitors dressing room before have a Covid outbreak

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I watched the 3 Cleveland Indians games over the weekend and I don't think it will be long before they are hit with the virus.  Standing in the dugout next to each other with no maksks.  What happened to the 6 feet rule????  Also the manager wore a mask at all three games but never had his nose covered.  I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be surprised if they are next.

Respected Contributor

One other thing about the Indians. Yesterday's starting pitcher had been our since May of 2019 with leukemia.  This was his first game back.  You would think the would have ALL worn their masks out of respect for him.

Respected Contributor

Wow, my rebuilding SF Giants led by rookie manager Gabe Kapler, split the four game series with the mighty Dodgers. Way to go Giants.

Esteemed Contributor

I have watched baseball all my life, first with my father, then with my husband and my grandson. I've enjoyed going to games too. Nevertheless, if we Americans don't start accepting what the experts tell us we must do to control the spread of Covid-19, there will be even more death, more destruction of our economy, more poverty and homelessness, and more violence. 

It doesn't matter what our politics may be. This pandemic is a human health issue. I would not consult my congressman to deal with an illness I might have. I'd see a doctor, plain and simple. We must do the same now. I love baseball but I could live without it for a season. I enjoy dining out and having a drink, but I could sacrifice those enjoyments in the name of saving my life and the lives of others. I just don't understand why some are willing to risk it all. Are we that impatient, that selfish,that short-sighted? I don't get it.

Trusted Contributor

None of the Marlins players or staff have active cases of Covid, so "outbreak" might be a little dramatic. But 14 of the Marlins organization did test positive without symptoms. None can play until each tests negative twice in a row. Such an abrupt and painful halt to their young season. 

So the visitors facilities and dugout at the Phillies stadium is now suspect as contaminated and must be thoroughly sanitized. The postponed Yankees game will probably try to get some makeup time, even though the schedule is so tight. I'm sure even the minimum travel the teams are doing in both leagues is now under new consideration. The testing is taken seriously and it's clear this is a big challenge. 

I don't think they can play that many teams in both leagues with so many games in a bubble like the NBA has set up. So far, it is yet to be proven that the bubble idea is all that safe. The NBA hasn't restarted its season yet so it remains to be seen if a bubble is any more successful than  the minimal travel of a limited season of baseball. 

That said, I'm really disappointed today. I'm an ardent baseball lover and Yankees fan, so any game missed makes me frustrated. But health and safety for all teams is key. Another sad setback in a tough year for everyone. I guess we have to agree sports is not "essential", but it's a treat many of us have really missed. 

Honored Contributor

By the time baseball was scheduled to return with only 60 games, I didn't care anymore. I have little faith they'll make it through this shortened season. I am a frustrated Mets fan, 2020 is no different than previous years, we're out of contention early. The bullpen is a mess, no one is hitting, and they don't seem to field their positions. I can't wait until the team is sold and the GM is gone. I have to rant about Jed Lowrie. This guy was signed to a two year $20 million contract for the 2019 season. He had some mysterious injury for the whole season, he never played the field, had  all of 8 at bars last season. He hasn't played this season, and is now on the 45 day injury list. He is stealing money from the Mets, I don't know his history if he was injury prone, he has been a big bust. At least this is the last year on his contract, good luck to him trying to sign with another team.

Honored Contributor

My team the Mets stink! I am so done with baseball.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I'll admit I am a Mets fan. I am on cloud nine, being a Mets fan I get so little to be happy about. Last night the Mets swept the double header against the Yankees ( our nemesis who always get the better of the Mets). This is the first time the Mets have taken a double header from the Yankees ever. So just for today I will be a happy camper, because who knows if I'll feel this way again. Oh, yeah it's looking like it will be Steven Cohen who will purchase the Mets, I strongly dislike the Wilpons so I can't wait!

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Yes, I'll admit I am a Mets fan. I am on cloud nine, being a Mets fan I get so little to be happy about. Last night the Mets swept the double header against the Yankees ( our nemesis who always get the better of the Mets). This is the first time the Mets have taken a double header from the Yankees ever. So just for today I will be a happy camper, because who knows if I'll feel this way again. Oh, yeah it's looking like it will be Steven Cohen who will purchase the Mets, I strongly dislike the Wilpons so I can't wait!

Hi @Jordan2   congrats on the wins!   Your boys came from behind and got the job done!   

I am happy with the possible new ownership.  I'm not a fan of the Wilpons, either. 

*shaking hands*  Good luck on the next three games. Tomorrow is a double header.   

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.