Honored Contributor

why can't a 9 be 9-why does it run small-run large-size up on this one-size down and on and on.

what is wrong with shoe companies-the size should be the size-always!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Respected Contributor

Re: shoe sizing

[ Edited ]

I agree!

Sometimes the sizing isn't even consistent within a brand. 

Honored Contributor

I think it's because the shoes are not made in the same country all the time.  I always wore a 10W with Clarks and all my old shoes fit perfectly.  Starting last year 95% of the Clarks shoes were running too narrow.  How does that happen I ask you?  Clarks states there is no change.  Oh, please, they know darn well that the shoes are narrow but do nothing about it.  They will lose sales so it's tough for them.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@catlover For years and years I wore the exact same size across the board, size 7 in any manufacuter, then about 3 years ago sizing consistency was all over the place, I refuse to buy shoes from QVC with the return rates and the inconsistency in sizing, I was burned one too many times, now I will only purchase shoes if I can try them on, or if the online retailer has FREE returns.

Honored Contributor

I always wear a size 11, and dare to have ordered dozens of pairs of shoes on Zulily with no problem, but I've found that Spring Step shoes run a full size smaller than any other brand.  Why do they do that? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It's so you buy 76 pairs you can't wear.  👢👞👟

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I think it's because the shoes are not made in the same country all the time.  I always wore a 10W with Clarks and all my old shoes fit perfectly.  Starting last year 95% of the Clarks shoes were running too narrow.  How does that happen I ask you?  Clarks states there is no change.  Oh, please, they know darn well that the shoes are narrow but do nothing about it.  They will lose sales so it's tough for them.

That's poor Q Quality Control, @Katcat1.

Trusted Contributor

I wear a 9.5, & it's frustrating when a shoe is offered in half sizes up to size 9. Then I have to choose between a 9 & 10. Even when it's recommended to size up or down because the shoe runs "small/large", I wonder if MY idea of small/large is the same as theirs!

Honored Contributor

The country the shoe is made in usually determines the "last" or the metal that runs inside the shoe under the insole.  I wear Italian shoes well and always have a problem with shoes made in Spain.

My family had the largest fine shoe store in town when I was growing up.