Esteemed Contributor

Re: OK Shoe Vendors....enough with the velcro!

Hey,there is room for everyone in my shoe town!

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I overheard my baby brother (age 63) telling my GS-his great nephew (age 18) that the only people you see wearing velcro shoes are young kids & old people.837514213.gif

I learn the most from young kids and old people..must be something to this velcro thing😁

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

I've owned two pairs of Velcro shoes and both were annoying.  Just yesterday I went for a walk in my Ecco sandals and found the back Velcro coming unfastened the faster I walked.  There isn't anything stuck in the closure to affect the adhesion.  Quite a bummer, especially considering I paid more than $100 for these shoes last summer and haven't worn them very much.

Honored Contributor

For my sandals, velcro on the straps is fine. I don't like buckles because they can catch on the hem when wearing pants or long skirt.  Never buckles!

I won't wear any dressy shoes that have straps or buckles (or any decoration), so vekcri a non-issue for those shoes.

Valued Contributor

@HULAGIRL , I am in full agreement with you. Yes, some people may need the velcro for many reasons. But, for me I can't get the shoe tight enough around my ankles and in a lot of cases velcro takes away from the look of the shoe. More buckles PLEASE! 

Trusted Contributor

@HULAGIRL wrote:

Luckily, I am still able to buckle a buckle and tie a shoelace...........I understand that there are some who appreciate the velcro, especially if they have challenges, but it seems to be appearing on so many shoes now.  The day may come when I need it, but I do think it detracts from the look (for me)!

DITTO!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I overheard my baby brother (age 63) telling my GS-his great nephew (age 18) that the only people you see wearing velcro shoes are young kids & old people.837514213.gif

Which is exactly why I refer to mine as "hook & loop." I'd hate for your GS to mistake me for a young kid just because of velcro! 

837514213.gif 

Honored Contributor

Velcro isn't about function, it's about style.  And it saves the manufacturers some money if they don't have to incorporate buckles and what you.  I don't like velcro because I'm always afraid that the fastener will open and I'll fall and break an ankle or something.  Although, I have never heard of that happening.

Honored Contributor

@De Anna wrote:

@HULAGIRL , I am in full agreement with you. Yes, some people may need the velcro for many reasons. But, for me I can't get the shoe tight enough around my ankles and in a lot of cases velcro takes away from the look of the shoe. More buckles PLEASE! 

I have just the opposite situation. I prefer velcro precisely because I can make it fit my narrow ankle and foot. Buckles never seemed to be constructed with enough holes. And if they were, the amount of strap showing would be unsightly.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Velcro has its place but I notice that a lot of shoes sold on QVC and other shopping channels use velcro as closures, especially on comfort sandals. I'm sure it's a cost cutting measure.