Honored Contributor

Ok! so I posted that I was going to make my vegetable soup.

Well...I did yesterday.  But...I used Pot Roast meat INSTEAD of the Filet Mignon I usually use.

The reason I changed meats is because our local grocery store had a special if you bought one chunk of pot roast meat, the second was free!

I paid $16. (And change) for one and got one free for $15(and change).  I gave one to a friend...it was free for me!

My friends at the meat counter are always telling me I was wasting money by using Filet Mignon for soup....

OMG!  I looked at the crock pot and the top was floating in grease!  I finished cooking it and this morning I googled how to get rid of grease in soup.

Evidentally, like I’m always posting here, I’m not the only dingbat that screws up stuff.  There were lots of recommendations.

So I went to the bread drawer and it took at least 6 pieces of bread...but it worked!  The bread sucked up all of the grease.

So... ( finally, I know), my soup\stew was saved.

I’m sure you cooks know all about this; but for those who don’t...It does work..makes a mess, but it works.

From now on I’m using Filet Mignon in my soup...it works best for me.

Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes those bogo roasts are not worth it. Sorry this happened to you but thank goodness the bread worked. 

Honored Contributor

Re: What to Name this?

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66.  All you have to do is chill the soup, the fat rises to the top and congeals.   Then you just spoon it into the garbage.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My butcher must trim the fat because the little fat that does appear can be picked off the top once it cools.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 You are having a large amount of waste if you are putting filet in your soup.  How about pieces of rump roast or eye of round, simmer until tender, then add more liquid and vegies.

Honored Contributor

I always make my vegetable beef soup with beef bones.  You have to use bones to get a good broth.

I then use chuck or some other less expensive cut of meat with the bones

No way would I use filet mignon for soup.   

I just chill my stock in the fridge then remove most, but not all of the fat with a slotted spoon.

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66    I don't like large pieces of meat in my Vegetable Beef soup. I buy the meat that the butcher has sliced to be used in fajitas. I just cut them up, saute them and there is no grease in the soup.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Didn't the fat float to the top and harden when you put it in the refrigerator?  If it didn't harden, what did you see floating on the top of the soup?  

I've never had beef or chicken fat not float to the top when it's cold where it's easy to remove.  Just spoon it off.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 You are having a large amount of waste if you are putting filet in your soup.  How about pieces of rump roast or eye of round, simmer until tender, then add more liquid and vegies.

@ECBG I don't think there is any waste to a filet. . . ????

I use mostly cuts on sale in soup, and have used filets with no problem.  I won't buy scraps they sell as soup or stew meat.

I am very picky about what I buy in any cut of beef.  I look carefully and the quality varies wildly among pieces of any cut in the meat case.  I want something fairly lean and trim and cut it up very carefully--especially if it is a piece of chuck. 

I am more influenced by what I see than what the cut is called on the package. . . 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG I don't think there is any waste to a filet. . . ????

@Sooner Maybe I should have said financial waste.Smiley Happy