Honored Contributor

Re: What is it about soda (pop) in meat roasts?

I have some recipes using Coke or Root Beer, etc.  Can the diet version be used?

Respected Contributor

@Daysdee 

Diet colas should definitely NOT be used, according to the collection of beef and pork recipes I have gathered over the years.

Recipes of this type are  careful to point this out, so it must be important.

Honored Contributor

Having grown up in the South I feel free to note:  COKE!  It's not just for breakfast any more!

At least in my own life. . . Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

If it can destroy enamel on your teeth and clean a toilet, Cola can make a cheaper cut of meat tender enough to cut with a spoon!

Honored Contributor

Have never tried this but I think I will this winter.

Honored Contributor

If your battery cables corrode, just pour the rest of the can over them!  It is good to cure a stomach ache, get the car back on the road, cook a roast, and make an ice cream float!  It truly is a miracle in a can!  Woman Very Happy  

My house will never be without one or two in the fridge.  For emergencies! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner : Got sick today in Walmart because the store was hot like no ac. I normally drink the caffeine free coke but had the regular  and consumed it fast and in a few minutes burping louder than a baby. DH said - what ever works and gives relief. So because of the caffeine tonight will probably be nervous and wide awake. Southern Bee 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

If your battery cables corrode, just pour the rest of the can over them!  It is good to cure a stomach ache, get the car back on the road, cook a roast, and make an ice cream float!  It truly is a miracle in a can!  Woman Very Happy  

@Sooner It will also take the paint off your car. My husband was up a tree trying to remove a branch when a big puff of some sort of fungus flew into his eyes. I had just opened a coke when I heard him yell. I placed it on my car while I drove him to the hospital. When I returned the coke had tipped over and where it ran down it removed every speck of paint down to bare metal. Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner It will also take the paint off your car. My husband was up a tree trying to remove a branch when a big puff of some sort of fungus flew into his eyes. I had just opened a coke when I heard him yell. I placed it on my car while I drove him to the hospital. When I returned the coke had tipped over and where it ran down it removed every speck of paint down to bare metal. Woman Sad

@tiny 2

Seriously that's terrible!  Who knew?  I hope it wasn't too expensive to get fixed--like they didn't have to repaint a lot of the car!  YIKES!  

Respected Contributor

@Sooner, Just the hood. Wonder if it works on soap scum Woman Very HappyWoman LOL