Honored Contributor

Re: What is it about soda (pop) in meat roasts?

@novamc1  Thank you.  I will remember that.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

About using diet cola in recipes calling for the real stuff..........

One day years ago in my large federal government workplace building, I bought a diet Coke from a vending machine.

It tasted awful, or didn't really have much taste.  It certainly wasn't the cola I was expecting. 

I was rather indignant about having my money stolen by a vending machine for an undrinkable product,  so I looked up the number of the local Coke distributor or bottling company (don't remember which).

A person took my phone complaint. 

I asked for nothing in response to my complaint.  Was offered nothing.  Just wanted to let them know so we could get some decent drinks around there.

HOWEVER.........a few days later, a nice fellow showed up right at my desk and handed me a six-pack of Diet Coke.  I almost fell over in shock.

Now, THAT was customer service I certainly did not expect.

That was around the time that  I learned some artificial sweeteners have a limited shelf life, and/or depend on stable temperature storage.

Perhaps diet cola sweeteners can't withstand kitchen cooking temperatures and therefore are not useful in recipes.

By the way, if you regularly buy cola drinks of any type, you can find dates---often hard to find and read-- indicating how long ago they were bottled.  May be useful to compare dates among the many that always appear on grocery shelves.

Even  "real Coke" loses its punch and fizz after a while.

Respected Contributor

You need the sugar in regular Coke or other soda because the sugar carmelizes with the meat juices and makes your recipe really "pop"

Esteemed Contributor

Honestly I don't really know what the deal is with using some type of soda pop in cooking other than flavor and tenderizing.  I do know that Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond has used Dr. Pepper in several of her recipes.  We are not Dr. Pepper consumers but we do drink Coke and Pepsi and I have used both.   I think that they water down the juices too much so don't use them often.  Maybe my taste isn't as refined.