Honored Contributor

What is it about soda (pop) in meat roasts?

There are currently at least two recipes here using soda (pop in our area) as an ingredient in slow cooking beef roasts or pork roasts.  What is the magic ingredient, the flavoring or the carbonation?  I also have a few recipes using beer, I'm assuming that is for the beer flavor?

Respected Contributor

Re: What is it about soda (pop) in meat roasts?

Acid has the ability to break down fibers, tenderizing the meat a little.  Marinading meat in soda also infuses a sweet flavor. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I make a tasty recipe for pulled pork with a shoulder roast and root beer.

Respected Contributor

I'll mix Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce with a can of root beer and pour over a pork roast, it's wonderful, or McCormick's roast packet mixed with a Coca-Cola and pour over beef roast.  Yum!

Honored Contributor

Years ago, they used to pour coke over ham.  It was the "rage"!

Respected Contributor

This has been around for a long time  bc I inherited my mother's recipe box (she's been dead for 45 years) and there's a paper clipping about seasoning a beef roast and pouring a coke over it. 

Ironically I just saw one on FB for dessert using apples  - you roll apples in sugar and spices and rolling it in dough and pouring 7-up down the sides.  

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG 

I have always heard to use 7up to baste the ham to reduce the salt. It does seem to help.

Honored Contributor

My oven roasting with beef or pork roasts always involve Coke or Dr Pepper, lots of onions, a bit of brown sugar and chipotle papers in adobo sauce.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG 

I have always heard to use 7up to baste the ham to reduce the salt. It does seem to help.

My father-in-law always used Ginger Ale when cooking a ham. Funny I had forgotten that--thanks for the reminder!

Honored Contributor

I have several recipes for meat using soda. Some call for Coke, others gingerale, and others root beer. I do think it tenderizes.