Respected Contributor

Tortellini Caesar Salad

[ Edited ]

This came from Carol1229 on June 4, 2013, and all the notes are from her.

Carol, if you're 'listening', thank you for sharing this.  We enjoyed it al fresco this evening with a bottle of Chardonnay and a warm loaf of French bread.

Tortellini Caesar Salad
(Source: slightly adapted from Quick Cooking)

1 (9-14 oz.) pkg. frozen cheese tortellini 

½ cup mayonnaise (I use low fat mayonnaise)
1/4 cup milk (I use low fat milk)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (or you can use the shredded Parmesan in the bag found in the dairy case-don't use the one in the can though-it's way too dry and salty)
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
8 cups torn Romaine lettuce*
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese**
1 cup seasoned croutons
Halved grape or cherry tomatoes (optional-I use regular cut-up tomatoes when I don't have grape or cherry tomatoes-like in the salad in the picture)

Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water.

For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, milk, 1/4 cups Parmesan, lemon juice, garlic and pepper.

Place tortellini in a large salad bowl. Add Romaine lettuce and 1/3 cups Parmesan cheese.

Just before serving, drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Top with croutons and tomatoes, if desired. 10 servings.

*You can mix different kinds of lettuce if you choose. I usually serve the dressing on the side when we have it here at home so that we can enjoy the salad for a few days without it getting soggy.

**I sprinkle on the cheese as I serve it....I find it easier to control that way.

NOTE: Add some cooked sliced or cubed chicken to this and you've got yourself a main dish salad...great during the summer on those I don't want to heat up the kitchen nights. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I am going to make this...yum!

Honored Contributor

Re: Tortellini Caesar Salad

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG is there something missing on the line after the cooking directions for the tortellini? 

"or dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, milk, 1/4 cups Parmesan

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@IamMrsG is there something missing on the line after the cooking directions for the tortellini? 

"or dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, milk, 1/4 cups Parmesan

@Kachina624   Woman Embarassed  If there is anything I detest on this forum, it's typos in recipes.   Thank you for pointing out this one. 

I've corrected it to read from, " or dressing . . ." to "For dressing. . . "  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tortellini Caesar Salad

[ Edited ]

You can do anything w/ tortellini! I made mine for our "Too-da-loo Party" and it was gone in a flash!

I think the real secret, though, was in the Herbs de Provence EVOO and the Herbs di Napoli balsamic I used.

http://seasonstaproom.com/

But the star, of course, was the tortellini!

@IamMrsG

TY for that variant!