Esteemed Contributor

@Big Joanie   I often do the first few hours on the counter too   It's coming out of a deep freezer so I feel it needs a little jump start.

Respected Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@Big Joanie   I often do the first few hours on the counter too   It's coming out of a deep freezer so I feel it needs a little jump start.

That's my thought exactly .. have sone it this way for years ...Have a great 

holiday ....

Trusted Contributor

In our large cooler with cold water on Tuesday morning.  No mess in the frig or space, this is our 25th year doing the cooler method works great for us. I wold never go back to the frig thawing ever. 

Valued Contributor

Thanks to everybody. I appreciate hearing your thoughts. I haven't cooked a turkey in several years. I decided the last time I cooked one that it was too much work for one person to do it all. I still believe that. This year I am trimming my menu and will see how it works out. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Thawing Turkey 2021

[ Edited ]

I have a 20 lb. turkey. I originally miscalculated and planned to take it out yesterday but that would have been too soon.  We're on our way home from an overnight trip.  I would have liked to get it out this morning, but will do it as soon as we get home, about 1:30 pm. If it's still icy on Wednesday night, I'll get up early and put it in water for a little while before sticking it in the oven. 

ETA @ @Big Joanie  I just read your plan and may adopt part of it for the first half of my thawing .  

Respected Contributor

I have 2 turkeys...im cooking separate for my parents since they are not able to come for Thanksgiving,  so ill bring them a small turkey that morning already cooked.  It's 12lbs, im thinking to refrigerate it by tomorrow??  Cook it early Thursday morning.  The other for my family is 19 lbs lbs...I bought today and it's in refrigerator...does this sound OK for thawing both turkeys??

Could I leave the larger one out on counter overnight Wednesday??

Respected Contributor

Happy Thanksgiving to all! 

FB_IMG_1637553920703.jpg