Valued Contributor

What day do you put your frozen turkey in the refrigerator to thaw? 

Mine is a 16 lb bird. It will take probably 4 to 5 days.

Respected Contributor

@gtx Our turkey is 16.8 pounds. We are moving it from the freezer to the fridge Saturday. I want the ice gone before trying to get the neck and that plastic bag of yuck stuff out of the cavities. I do not know if this is correct, but we are moving it earlier. I usually did the move on Sunday, but I have had birds still icy. Since we are not supposed to wash the bird as I once did, I hope it will be fully thawed and ready for the oven.

Valued Contributor

Thanks @On It. I am thinking the same thing. I don't want an icy turkey to deal with. Now I just have to make room in the refrigerator for 5 days. I need two refrigerators and 2 ovens for Thanksgiving.

Respected Contributor

@gtx If you have space in your utility or garage, the best investment we have made was a second refrigerator. We bought a plain, basic top freezer refrigerator whose dimensions fit our utility room. The only perk it has is self-defrosting. No ice maker, no water dispenser, or any frills.

We use it year round to store uncooked meat both in the  fridge and the freezer. Any frozen foods like veggies or dinners that require cooking are stored in the utility fridge. Anything that is eaten without cooking is stored in the kitchen fridge. It was money well-spent if you have the space.

Esteemed Contributor

I read the instructions on the frozen turkey. It said one day for each four pounds. With a 16 pound turkey, I plan to put it in the refrigerator on Sunday. That's the recommendation on the Butterball turkey I bought.

Trusted Contributor

There is a chart on foodsafety dot gov that may be useful.

Respected Contributor

Let's all do what we think is best, but I will try to remember to start a new thread where we can post the results. I will be moving my 16.8 pound turkey into the Fridge on Saturday. I want it pliable with no ice. A thawed turkey will last 1-2 days in the fridge, so I am not concerned about it it spoiling.

Those who have a 16 pound turkey can begin the defrosting when you choose. Let's report the day we moved it and the condition when we started to prepare the bird. (Completely thawed; Slightly icy; Still frozen enough to make removing parts in the cavities difficult; Total ice cube.) I know the refrigerator temperature will be an unknown variable, but I thought this would be a fun experiment.

Esteemed Contributor

Saturday sounds good for a 16 

Sunday for a 12

It won't hurt if totally thawed for a day - look at all the raw meat  out there at the grocery store.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm so glad to see this thread!

I have a 18# turkey  I want to brine it  then DH will smoke it on the Traeger. He'll slice it. We will bring it sliced to my sister's.

I think Saturday.  What do you think?

Respected Contributor

@Mary Bailey I am not ignoring your question, but I do not have enough experience to have an answer. One, I have never brined a turkey, so I do not know how to allow time for that. Second, I have never smoked a turkey, so I do not know how much time that requires. Down here in Texas to smoke a brisket like the top barbecue joints takes 18 hours. I guess you need to factor the brine and smoking to allow for any extra time you may need over the traditional wrapper to oven cooking style.