I use a pastry bag with a large star tip with this recipe from Cook's Country:

1 egg yolk

1 tbsp heavy cream

1 tsp vanilla

1 cup butter, softened

2/3 cup sugar

1/8 tsp salt

2 cups flour

Whisk egg yolk, cream, and vanilla in dish to mix.  Se aside for later.

Cream butter, sugar, and salt with electric mixer until fluffy.  Beat in reserved egg mixture.  Slowly beat in flour to mix thoroughly.

Fill rolled-down pastry bag half-full, pull up sides, and twist tightly while pushing down dough to squeeze out air.  Pipe onto ungreased baking sheet 1 1/2" apart.  Bake one sheet at a time at 375 degrees until light golden brown, 10-12 minutes.  Cool on sheet for 15 minutes.  Finish cooling on wire rack.     

Honored Contributor

We have a bunch of cookie presses in the attic: ones we've bought and inherited.  We used to make dozens of them.

Our favorites were the camel ones made with a gingerbread flavored spritz recipe.

Respected Contributor

We made these at home when I was a teenager .. .we almost

made ourselves sick .. between eating the dough and the

mound of cookies we made ..... Our .. and my favorite ...

the green Christmas Trees with red sugar sprinkle ......

We made them last year for the first time in about 20 years ...

they tasted great .....

Trusted Contributor

Re: Spritz cookies

[ Edited ]

@Big Joanie wrote:

We made these at home when I was a teenager .. .we almost

made ourselves sick .. between eating the dough and the

mound of cookies we made ..... Our .. and my favorite ...

the green Christmas Trees with red sugar sprinkle ......

We made them last year for the first time in about 20 years ...

they tasted great .....

I loved the green Christmas trees. My Mom also used the red sugar sprinkles on some and she used the silver dragees for "balls" on the trees. LOL, now those silver dragees are only supposed to be "for decorative purposes" and not to be eaten. So glad we did not have that warning as kids. 

Respected Contributor

OMG .. yes we had the silver dragees too... I just didn't know

their name .....

Honored Contributor

Spritz dough does not "like" to be handled much.   They are supposed to be very "delicate" after baking.    Rolling with a pin, or forming into balls and pressed, "toughens" the dough.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Frequent Contributor

I just made Spritz cookies today, turned out great! Last year I replaced my  metal, inherited press with an OXO good grips one from Amz. It works great, absolutely love it! 

Honored Contributor

My Mom made them and they were so my favorite.  I used to watch her struggle with the darn cookie press.  I have one but can't be bothered struggling with it.  She did trees and wreaths.  

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

Im thinking you "improvise" by making the dough then rolling into logs.

Place in pastry bag with large star tip (Ateco 867 using 16" pastry bag) for wreath.  02AF5E84-4FBA-4523-95FE-2827D6361A35.jpegI think the small tip would be to thin.  I don't know if Wilton has large tips at craft stores.

Then I would make wreaths of continuous circle adding bow. 

I had my mothers old cooper Mirro Brand crank style press.  In my last move it disappeared. At first I bought theWilton one -- no luck☹️. I purchased the OXO brand from BB&B.

It works perfectly using the spritz dough Ive used for years.

43864BC4-6F0A-40CE-8021-173B54E896BD.jpeg

I like the wreaths and trees I dye the dough green. 

Spritz are my fav!  

Happy  Baking🙂

Trusted Contributor

I wonder if you could just roll them into a ball and then after you put them on a cookie sheet, press them down with a bottom of a glass (dipped in sugar).  I think they would have to be flattened a bit to cook well.