Valued Contributor

Salt substitute recommendation

[ Edited ]

Benson's Table Tasty.

I need to cut back my salt usage to 2000mg  or less a day. 

This is tough to do, even for a person that does not have a salt shaker in the house. 

For instance, an egg has 70 mg.

Researching nutritional info at restaurants yields, no more dining out. Each meal contains so much salt.

I have found only 2 restaurants so far, where I can order only one meal from each that are in the guidelines.

I have had to make all my own food. ( Horrors for someone that has never done it.Man Surprised)

Food with out any salt has been tasteless so far, even with spices, until I found Bensons Table Tasty. 

Approved by the docs and it REALLY helps.  It is mostly vegetables but actually helps the food have that missing bit of salt taste and several other flavors. 

They have several varities.  I purchased the regular.

Edited to add:  This product contains NO Potassium Chloride.

Mrs Dash and Nu Salt do.  These type products are documented as part of your daily sodium intake with the doctors.   Potassium levels are tracked  carefully with regular bloodwork at least in my case.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Salt substitute recommendation

Mrs. Dash spice blends-no salt....lots of varieties....i've tried many, and they were all very tasty...in the spice aisle..

Occasional Contributor

Be very careful with salt substitutes as they use Potassium instead of Sodium in them. Potassium is extremely dangerous in large amounts (which if switching to a salt substitute could be a large a sudden increase) and can lead to heart failure and kidney failure. The only safe alternative is Mrs. Dash or other spices that don’t contain sodium. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

I'm home recovering from carotid artery surgery.   Eighty percent blockage.   I'm having to learn how to eat all over again.   I would love to hear all suggestions for healthy (yet edible) eating.   Thanks in advance,   SC

Honored Contributor

I developed hbp when I was expecting my firstborn 37 years ago. I went sodium-free and never turned back! Remember, the more you consume sodium, the more you want! Its an acquired taste. I have been living sodium-free for 37 years now and never miss any flavor! I can taste salt now even if there's a minuscule amount! When cooking, I just omit the salt but for those who are use to the salty taste you won't like your dish. You'll get use to the true taste of what food is supposed to taste like. For instance, I LOVE salt-free catsup. My family hates it but to me it has the truest and purest taste of what catsup is supposed to taste like. Mmmm.

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

I use Himalayan Pink Sea Salt (Amazon) and it has completely changed my taste for salt.  I find myself using less and less by choice. 

Only salt a few foods anymore.  It seems to be nearer to the natural salt already in some foods so the food doesn't need additional salt.

Honored Contributor

What docs reccommend Bensons?

Valued Contributor

I personally whole heartedly recommend Benson;s.

@Group 5 minus 1My heart doctors office approved the ingredients. 

I found the product on the internet and asked them if it was ok. 

I hope some day they recommend it to others.  I told them to buy a bottle and try it.

Respected Contributor

Respected Contributor

@Lapdogwrote:

Benson's Table Tasty.

I need to cut back my salt usage to 2000mg  or less a day. 

This is tough to do, even for a person that does not have a salt shaker in the house. 

For instance, an egg has 70 mg.

Researching nutritional info at restaurants yields, no more dining out. Each meal contains so much salt.

I have found only 2 restaurants so far, where I can order only one meal from each that are in the guidelines.

I have had to make all my own food. ( Horrors for someone that has never done it.Man Surprised)

Food with out any salt has been tasteless so far, even with spices, until I found Bensons Table Tasty. 

Approved by the docs and it REALLY helps.  It is mostly vegetables but actually helps the food have that missing bit of salt taste and several other flavors. 

They have several varities.  I purchased the regular.

Edited to add:  This product contains NO Potassium Chloride.

Mrs Dash and Nu Salt do.  These type products are documented as part of your daily sodium intake with the doctors.   Potassium levels are tracked  carefully with regular bloodwork at least in my case.

I just use salt sparingly, salt subs can be bad, also we all need iodine from salt. Cut back and you won't miss it. And if you get fast food fry's tell them with no salt put on them.And don't eat T.V. dinners and such, that's were the salt is. Some are low.