Respected Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Picking the right onion for your recipe

Novamc thank you for this. Great information here. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @novamc1!

Honored Contributor

Speaking of onions---read in my recipe about making  caramelized onions; thinly slice them , saute in butter on med-hi for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add 1/4 cup water to them, turn down the heat to med for another 5 minutes----boy--were they delicious-soft and brown and sweet, but very moist. They went overtop a pear and bleu cheese pizza I made for dinner last night. Good tip!!!

Honored Contributor

I prefer a white onion, but do buy yellow onions locally at times.   I use onions every day, so it is not unusual for me to have at least 50lbs of onions in the garage; yes 50lbs.   My trucker daughter buys directly from the warehouses she picks up from, so she can buy a 50lb bag of large white onions for $15.    

Respected Contributor

One of the most interesting things I saw in that onion article was this statement by the author:

<<One of my favorite ways to use red onions is pickling them - including red wine vinegar in the brining liquid only enhances the visual pop. I would not, however, recommend adding them to your frittata, as I once did. The (red)  onion's natural chemicals didn't get along too well with my eggs, which emerged from the oven an unappetizing blue-green-gray color.>>

Has anyone else experienced this chemical reaction?

Honored Contributor

@novamc1,

Yes, I have experienced that color bleed from a red onion, also in a baked breakfast casserole with eggs.  Vinegar sets that color and keeps the onion nice and red.   I often eat red onion slices on burgers in restaurants, but they are my least favorite, and I never buy them for my family.