Honored Contributor

Re: SEPTEMBER RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Baked CHICKEN Sandwich

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 teaspoon minced onion

1 (2 oz) jar pimentos, chopped (optional)

1 cup milk, divided

3 tablespoons flour

2 cups chopped, cooked, CHICKEN (about two breasts)

16 slices hearty bread (like Pepperidge Farm),

crusts removed

3 eggs, beaten

2 cups crushed potato chips

1/2 cup slivered almonds

Combine mushroom soup, minced onion and pimentos, set aside.  Mix 3/4 cup milk with flour stirring until smooth.

Add that to soup mixture; heat and stir until thickened.

Let mixture cool.  Then add the chopped CHICKEN.

Place eight slices of bread on a flat pan; spread CHICKEN mixture on each slice.  Top with remaining bread.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Next day mix together 3 beaten eggs and 1/4 cup milk in dish.  In another dish, mix potato chips and slivered almonds.

Dip sandwiches in egg mixture and then potato chip mixture.  Place on greased cookie sheet.  Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 30 minutes.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... BUTTER

Esteemed Contributor

Where are all our cooks this month?  

Butter Poached Lobster Tail

Ingredients:

2 uncooked lobster tails, removed from shell

1 stick of butter, cut into cubes

2 T water

salt and pepper

Preparing Butter Poached Lobster Tail:

Two small uncooked lobster tails. You’ll want to remove them from their shells and cut them partially down the center to clean out the vein.

To make the beurre monté. Place 2T of water in a sauce pan over medium high heat to bring to a boil. Then, with a whisk, add one small cube of butter at a time while constantly whisking. Once it is melted, add another cube of butter until you’ve slowly incorporated the entire stick. Don’t stop whisking. This will emulsify the butter so that it does not separate like normal melted butter does between its fats and solids. Don’t let the butter boil as it will break apart.

Once the butter is all melted, add the lobster tails.

Using a spoon, keep the beurre monté over the lobster tails. You’ll do this until the tails are cooked through which will only take about 7 minutes.

That’s it! Sprinkle with a bit of salt and fresh cracked black pepper and enjoy.

Important Tips:

Add the butter slowly, keep whisking and don’t let it boil. Lastly, don’t overcook the lobster.

It’s not a complete waste of butter as you can reuse it. Just place the leftovers in an airtight container and keep in the fridge. You can reuse it for another lobster tail or to sauté something like shrimp scampi.

Next ingredient:  Any "wurst"  bratwurst, etc.

Honored Contributor

Wondering that too Zhills.  Calling all cooks and bakers......

Crock O' Brats

5 BRATWURST links (about 1 1/4 lbs), cut into 1" pieces

5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed

1 can (27 ozs) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained

1 medium tart apple, chopped

1 small onion, chopped

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

In a large skillet, brown BRATWURST on all sides.  In a 5 or 6 quart slow-cooker, combine the remaining ingredients.  Stir in BRATWURST and pan drippings.  Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours or until potatoes and apple are tender.  Serves 6.

NEXT INGREDIENT ...... SOUR CREAM

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry for being absent from the boards.  I've barely had the time to peruse them, let alone post.  I'm taking shortcuts here and not typing it out myself.  I apologize, but I really wanted to participate.  I miss you all.  I'm looking forward to a four day weekend coming up and hope to catch up with my forum friends.  I haven't made this recipe, but I think I'll try it this weekend!

It comes from this website

565da5882100004a005abe90.jpeg

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 6.00.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 6.00.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 6.00.49 AM.png

Next ingredient:  oats

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Raspberry Crisp

4 cups fresh or frozen raspberries

1/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided

3/4 cup quick-cooking OATS

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup cold butter

Gently toss raspberries with sugar and 3 tablespoons flour.

Transfer to a greased 9" square baking dish.  In another bowl, combine OATS, brown sugar and remaining flour; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Sprinkle over berries.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes until golden brown.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... PUMPKIN

Honored Contributor

I thought this was really good, but not as 'pumpkiny' as I would like.

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Skillet Cornbread

This thick Pumpkin Cream Cheese Skillet Cornbread is the perfect side dish for any fall meal.  Pumpkin, cheddar cheese and cream cheese are spiked with cinnamon and are the standout ingredients of this easy, savory bread.

• 8 tablespoons butter, softened and divided
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 cups cornmeal
  • 3 tablespoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 cups milk
  • heaping 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place 12 cast iron pan in oven for 15 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 7 tablespoons butter. Stir in cream cheese and 1 cup cheddar cheese until combined.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and cinnamon until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
  4. Stir in milk and pumpkin until just combined.
  5. Remove pan from oven and add remaining tablespoon of butter. Tilt pan so that melted butter covers bottom of pan.
  6. Pour batter into heated pan and sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese.
  7. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.

NEXT INGREDIENT:

capers

Esteemed Contributor

Basic Piccata Sauce

3 Tbsps butter

3 cloves garlic (minced)

1 Tbsp olive oil

3 Tbsps white flour

14 ozs chicken broth (clear)

1 ½ Tbsps lemon juice

2 ½ Tbsps capers (with juice)

Directions:

1. In saucepan, saute garlic in butter until transparent.
  2. Add olive oil and flour making a paste.
  3. Cook, stirring, until golden brown.
  4. Add chicken broth a little at a time, and then add lemon juice.
  5. Stir over medium heat until thickened.
  6. Add capers with juice. Serves 4

Serve over any sautéed or baked  meat, poultry, fish or seafood; i.e., Halibut Piccata, Veal Piccata, Chicken Picatta, Pork Picatta, Scallops Picatta, etc.

Next ingredient:  Ground meat (any)

Honored Contributor

Update: I made the sour cream old fashioned donuts yesterday.

Epic fail.

The first few fell apart in the oil and the rest of them were hardly better.  Not sure what I did wrong. It's my second attempt at making donuts - last attempt was 20 years ago. I live in an area where there is a donut store on every block, pretty much... not sure why I bothered, but I hope I won't do it again.

Next ingredient: ground meat (any kind)

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: SEPTEMBER RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

If you remember a poster named LilBitMissty, I think I she posted this recipe.  It is good served with rice as she suggested.

Polynesian Beef Balls

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef

3/4 cup quick oats

1 (1.5 oz) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped fine

1 teaspoon accent

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon garlic salt or more to taste

1/2 teaspoon onion salt

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 egg

1/2 cup milk

Combine all ingredients and shape about 1 tablespoon into balls. (I made them about size of a golf ball.)  Brown in oil, drain and keep warm in skillet.  Prepare sauce......

1 (8 1/2 oz) can crushed pineapple (I used larger can)

1 cup packed brown sugar

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1 cup beef bouillon 

2 teaspoons soy sauce

1/2 cup vinegar

1/3 cup chopped green pepper

Drain pineapple, reserve juice.  Mix together sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan.  Add pineapple juice, bouillon, vinegar and soy sauce.  Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute.  Then stir in the green pepper and pineapple. Add sauce to meatballs in skillet.  Simmer about 10 minutes.  Serve hot.  Can be frozen.

NEXT INGREDIENT ...... POTATOES, any including Sweet

Trusted Contributor

I@walker wrote:

If you remember a poster named LilBitMissty, I think I she posted this recipe.  It is good served with rice as she suggested.

Polynesian Beef Balls

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef

3/4 cup quick oats

1 (1.5 oz) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped fine

1 teaspoon accent

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon garlic salt or more to taste

1/2 teaspoon onion salt

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 egg

1/2 cup milk

Combine all ingredients and shape about 1 tablespoon into balls. (I made them about size of a golf ball.)  Brown in oil, drain and keep warm in skillet.  Prepare sauce......

1 (8 1/2 oz) can crushed pineapple (I used larger can)

1 cup packed brown sugar

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1 cup beef bouillon 

2 teaspoons soy sauce

1/2 cup vinegar

1/3 cup chopped green pepper

Drain pineapple, reserve juice.  Mix together sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan.  Add pineapple juice, bouillon, vinegar and soy sauce.  Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute.  Then stir in the green pepper and pineapple. Add sauce to meatballs in skillet.  Simmer about 10 minutes.  Serve hot.  Can be frozen.

@walker, I do remember when Lilbit (I do miss her recipe postings) provided this one and thought, 'omg, there's  too much sodium plus MSG in this recipe!' 

NEXT INGREDIENT ...... POTATOES, any including Sweet