Honored Contributor

Time to "Fall" into some new skillet and casserole recipes

First off, sincere apologies for the terrible joke but seriously as we are heading into the fall season, here are some quick and easy skillet and casserole recipes (as you click through you will also find a terrific recipe for Beer, Cheese and Bacon Bread, yum!):

https://www.theslowroasteditalian.com/2013/09/the-best-ever-25-skillets-and-casseroles.html#more

Respected Contributor

Re: Time to "Fall" into some new skillet and casserole recipes

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe:  No need to apologize. I thought the "fall" pun was cuteSmiley Very Happy.  I'm going to try some of the recipes. I like making casserole dishes, especially during the fall and winter.

Valued Contributor

I thought it was very clever @momtochloe and made me smile, thanks for sharing!    Heart

Esteemed Contributor

It's gonna 'Fall' back to the lower 90s here today, but thanks for the link.  I love skillet meals instead of casseroles....just me!

Trusted Contributor

i have a file of soup and such that i plan to make now that the weather has cooled down a bit

Honored Contributor

mtc....reread your post...guess we are all thinking the same thing as weather gets cooler....thanks for link.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of my favorites at most midwestern potlucks:

1 1/2 lbs ground beef

1 lb sliced mushrooms

1 onion, chopped

4 tsps minced garlic

1 tsp dried thyme leaf

3 tbsps flour

1 1/2 cups milk

1 1/2 cups chicken broth

1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan

1 cup frozen peas

1 cup frozen corn

2 lbs frozen tater tots

Cook beef, onions, mushrooms, garlic, thyme, 1 1/2 tsps salt, and 1 1/2 tsps pepper in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until liquid has evaporated (about 1/2 hour), occasionally stirring and breaking up beef.

Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.  Stir in milk and broth and bring to simmer, scraping up fond.  Cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.  Stir in Parmesan off heat, then pour into 13X9" baking dish.

Sprinkle peas and corn over top of mixture, then set tater tots on top.  Bake at 450 degrees for 35-40 minutes, rotating dish after 15 minutes.  Cool for 15 minutes before serving.  I like to eat this with healthy squirt of ketchup on top.   

Respected Contributor

We really like this one posted by Carol. Miss herWoman Sad

Regular Contributor
Carol1229

Skillet Pork Tenderloin Stroganoff

Although not highlighted, I ran across this easy sounding recipe that solved ALL my problems.

The only thing I did differently is used a 12 oz. pkg. of fresh mushrooms and I'm not sure how big the pork tenderloin was I used-I was in a hurry so didn't weigh it......I'm thinking a little less than 1 pound. No matter-it worked fine. I also used low fat sour cream, stirring it in just before serving and it worked beautifully.

What a FABULOUS dish this is. The creamy sauce adds a wonderful flavor to the tender pork and mushrooms. We had this over lightly buttered yolk-free egg noodles sprinkled with chopped fresh parsley from our garden and a nice big salad on the side.

It was perfect for the warm summer night-and there's plenty leftover for a few more meals. We LOVE leftovers-they're a good thing in this house!

I know I'll be turning to this recipe again and again ANY time of year,

Carol

Salt and pepper to season meat
1 onion, chopped fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. white wine
1 c. low-sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp. ketchup
1/4 c. sour cream (I use reduced fat sour cream)
Buttered egg noodles or steamed rice

Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Cook mushrooms until browned, 6-8 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to a bowl; set aside.

Pat pork dry with paper towels; season with salt and pepper. Add additional 1 Tbsp. oil to skillet; set over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add pork; cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Transfer pork to the bowl with the mushrooms.

Add onion and a little more oil, if needed, to the same skillet; cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, cook and stir for 30 seconds.

Stir in flour; cook until golden, about 1 minute. Whisk in white wine, broth and ketchup; simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.

Stir in mushroom-pork mixture; cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Let cool slightlym then whisk in sour cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve over buttered noodles or rice. 4-6 servings.