Esteemed Contributor

SEPTEMBER RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Autumn in Florida.....
                                  fla.jpg
Hello September!  Surprise me!

September is a month of surprises....who will win the game Thursday night, when will the leaves turn?  How soon will it be cool enough to want to make a big pot of soup and bake something?

Hope all of your September surprises are awesome!

HOW TO PLAY.......

The first player of the month starts the game by posting their choice of recipe.  At the end of the text, she or he types, "the next ingredient: xxx."
(The x's represent that person's choice of any ingredient that can be included in a recipe).  

Throughout the game, the next poster in line must use the ingredient that the person ahead chose.  If you can, highlight the ingredient and/or put it in capital letters anywhere that it is used throughout the recipe.  That does make it easier for everyone to see how the game works.

Because of time or system delays, some duplicate posts occur to the same ingredient.  The next poster generally responds to the first post for the next ingredient.  Good recipes and lots of fun!!

Normally, we start out with a recipe so I will post the last one shared on the last thread and we can take it from there if that's ok with every body...

Firemans Wife 2001

Bacon/Cheese Appetizers

Ingredients:

1 small loaf of rye bread (unseeded)

1 1/2 cups of mayonnaise

A little over a 1/2 jar of bacon bits

1 bag of finely shredded cheese (your choice) 

Directions:

Cut each piece of rye bread in quarters. Place on an ungreased   cookie sheet.   Mix mayonnaise, bacon bits and cheese (keep a handful of cheese aside) and spread the mixture evenly over each piece of bread. Top each piece with a little extra cheese and bake at 375 for about 7 minutes and 1 minute on broil until bubbly.

NEXT INGREDIENT:    WALNUTS

Honored Contributor

Thanks, Zhills, for starting us off.....mtc gets a break this month!

Apple, Pear and WALNUT Salad

2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

2 1/2 tablespoons orange juice

1 orange, zested

1/2 cup raisins

4 apples, preferably different types

2 pears

1/2 cup WALNUTS, toasted and coarsely chopped

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

salt and pepper

In a large bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar, orange juice, zest and raisins.  Core and cube apples and pears.  Combine fruit and WALNUTS, then drizzle with oil; toss together.  Add to large bowl mixture and mix well.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Refrigerate one hour before serving.

NEXT INGREDIENT ...... TORTILLAS

Esteemed Contributor

Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chili Sour Cream Sauce

*These are seriously so so good*

10 tortillas

2 cups cooked, shredded chicken

2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese

3 Tbsp. butter

3 Tbsp. Flour            I added ONIONS.  Yum!

2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream

1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan
  2. Mix chicken and 1 cup cheese. Roll up in tortillas and place in pan.  (I add onions, diced tiny)
  3. 3. In a sauce pan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add broth and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Do not bring to boil.
  4. Stir in sour cream and chilies. Do not bring to boil, you don't want curdled sour cream.
  5. Pour over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
  6. Bake 22 min and then under high broil for 3 min to brown the cheese.

Take out of oven as soon as you see bubbles - before it boils so it won't curdle!  Enjoy!

It is easy to make half, but leftovers are good.

Next ingredient:  Tarragon

Honored Contributor

@Zhills

@walker

HEE, thank you so much Zhills as I was having technical difficulties so it was a lovely surprise to see our Recipe Game friends ride to the rescue!

Hope you both (and everyone that has/will join this thread) is having a terrific and delicious Labor Day weekend!  Heart

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe Glad you're ok. Was a little concerned! Enjoy what's left of the long weekend! 😉

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

@Coquillethank you so much my friend and please don't worry if I am still a bit sporadic as I just got home from running errands and had internet problems again.  I am getting too old for this . . . GAH!

Enjoy the rest of the Labor Day weekend!

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe  Maybe your computer is getting too old, not you!  Glad you are able to be running errands and you are back with us.

Next ingredient:  Tarragon

Honored Contributor

Tarragon is my absolute current FAV herb!  I just discovered it about a year ago.

Citrus-Steamed Shrimp with Orange-Tarragon Aioli   serves 4-8

Aioli:

• 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise  **I only had Miracle Whip
  • 2 Tbsp minced shallot
  • Zest of 1 orange
  • 1 Tbsp orange juice
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 Tbsp chopped tarragon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp hot pepper sauce

Shrimp:

• 2 lbs (21–25) peeled and deveined shrimp
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
  • 1-1/2 cups white wine
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp mustard seed
  • Few orange slices, cut in fourths
  • Juice of half a lemon
  1. To make the aioli, combine the mayonnaise, shallot, zest, orange and lemon juices, tarragon, salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce in a bowl. Cover it and refrigerate the mixture for at least 2 hours.
  2. To prepare the shrimp, toss with the coriander and pepper in a bowl. Bring the white wine, water, bay leaves, garlic, mustard seed, orange slices, and lemon juice to a boil in a large pot. Place the shrimp in a steamer basket and place it on top of the pot; cover. Steam the shrimp for 5 minutes, remove the lid, and stir. Steam for an additional 5 minutes and then remove the shrimp from steamer.
  3. Refrigerate until chilled. Serve with the aioli.

NEXT INGREDIENT:

CAKE FLOUR  (Softsilk)

Valued Contributor

Okay...don't make this often.  Easier to do than you may think.  It is yummy and impresses when you want something special.  Looks great when you top the frosted cake roll with fresh strawberries.

JELLY ROLL with CARAMEL ICING

3/4 cup sifted cake flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

3//4 c. sugar

4 eggs

1 tsp vanilla extract

confectioner's sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line the bottom of jelly pan with wax paper or foil, trimmed to fit.  Butter the paper.

Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.

Beat eggs until light and foamy.  Continue beating, adding sugar slowly until very thick and double in bulk (10 min.). 

Sprinkle sifted dry ingredients over batter and fold them in gently.  Fold in vanilla.

Bake for 12-15 minutes or till delicately browned and top springs back.  

Loosen cake around edges with knife and turn it out onto a cloth sprinkled evenly with confectioner's surgar. 

Quickly remove wax paper.  Starting at long end, gently roll up the cake right along with the towel.  Place the roll, towel & all, on a cake rack to cool.  When cool, unroll cake and remove the towel.  

Spread the top with half the caramel icing.  Re-roll the cake. Frost the outside of the roll with the rest of the icing.

CARAMEL ICING

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup confectioner's sugar

4 T, flour

1 egg

1 cup milk

COOK above ingredients in pan over low heat, stirring constantly, until very thick and pasty.  LET cool completely.

1/2 cup Crisco

1/2 cup butter

1 T. vanilla

MIX together in bowl.  Beat until creamy.  Add cooked paste and continue to beat.

Next Ingredient:  60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate

Esteemed Contributor

Bittersweet Chocolate Decadence Cookie

• 1/4 cup all purpose flour - do not add more than this you will not need it
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (I used Ghiradelli Bittersweet Dark Chocolate Chips)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups walnuts or pecans chopped
  • 6 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips

Instructions

• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside. Melt 8 ounces of chocolate along with the butter in a double boiler (or in the microwave, 1 minute at a time at 50% power). Set aside the melted chocolate to cool slightly.
  • In a glass bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla until thoroughly blended. Place over a simmering pan of water and continue whisking until lukewarm. Stir the warm eggs into the melted chocolate. Add the flour mixture and then add the chocolate chips and chopped nuts.
  • Scoop rounded tablespoons of the dough onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. Bake until the cookie looks dry on the outside. It should still be gooey on the inside*. This took just 10 minutes in my oven. Remove to a wire rack. The inside of the cookies will be soft when you place them on the rack, but they will firm up as they cool. Enjoy!
  • * Be careful not to overcook these cookies. I let one batch go a little too long and they were not nearly as amazing.

Next ingredient:  Cabbage