Respected Contributor

Recipes Reminiscent of Autumn

This recipe is my own interpretation of varied similar recipes of the savory stuffed pumpkin variety which I have sampled and modified over the last forty or more years.  

The absolute original inspiration for me was  a Yankee Magazine recipe which I have never been able to replace when lost many, many years ago.

Do you have any cherished recipes with ingredients that evoke autumn for you?  Please share if so inclined.            

New England Yankee Stuffed Pumpkin for Supper

1 sugar or pie pumpkin

1 and 1/2 to 2 lbs ground beef

2 cups cooked white rice

1 cup chopped mushrooms

2 to 3 cloves minced garlic

1 small onion, diced

2 ribs of celery sliced thin 

1/8 Tsp minced grated fresh ginger

1 8 0z can water chestnuts, drained

1 14 oz can bean sprouts, drained

1 10 and 1/2 oz. can Campbell's cream of celery soup

1/4 cup vermouth or sherry, optional

4 Tbsps peanut oil

1/2 Tsp Colman's dry mustard

3 Tbsps low sodium soy sauce

dash white pepper

crushed red pepper flakes

Cut into the stem end of the pumpkin on the diagonal and cut out a "hat" or topper.  Clean out the pulp and seeds (said seeds can be used later if you like after roasting and salting them as a separate snack).

Heat the oil over medium heat in a heavy fry pan and add ground beef and saute until well browned.  Set the beef aside in a large mixing bowl.  

Saute onions, celery, garlic, and mushrooms.  Mix in with the ground beef and add the soup, vermouth or sherry if using, water chestnuts, bean sprouts and then add the mustard, white pepper, ginger, and crushed red pepper flakes.

Fill the hollowed out pumpkin with this mixture, put pumkin lid on and place on a foil lined, rimmed baking sheet.  Put in a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours until the pumpkin shell and flesh is soft to the touch.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

Re: Recipes Reminiscent of Autumn

[ Edited ]

Apple Crisp:

7 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into chunks and slices

1 tbsp lemon juice

1/2 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup flour

1 cup rolled oats

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 stick softened butter

Stir apples in bowl with lemon juice and vanilla.  Pour evenly into 9X13" baking dish.

Stir flour, oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon in bowl.  Mix in butter until topping is lumpy and forming large crumbs.  Sprinkle evenly over apples.

Bake at 375 degrees until apples are tender, 35-40 minutes.  Topping should be browned and crunchy.  Extra yummy with ice cream.        

Trusted Contributor

@aroc3435,

Thanks for posting your stuffed pumpkin recipe.  It is certainly something I want to try when cooler weather returns on a more regular basis.  I love autumn!!!  And I've never cooked a pumpkin so I'm excited about using one that won't go on my front porch!😊

Directions are omitted for your recipe's cooked rice and soy sauce.  Are they added when the sautéed veggies are added to the ground beef? 

Generally, when a ground meat, seasoning veggies and soy/'W' sauce are ingredients in a recipe, I tend to cook them all together in a skillet, sometimes staggering one ahead of another depending on their cook time.  Is there anything about your recipe that you would not recommend my approach?  Thanks.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@vabreeze   Sorry!   This recipe is essentially, at this point, from my "head" so it is not as precise as a recipe copied from a book.

I use regular long grain cooked rice.  I thoroughly combine it with the soy sauce, sherry, or vermouth, and the rest of the seasonings and sauteed beef and vegetables in the bowl and then spoon all into the pumpkin to bake.

Celery takes the longest to soften as do the mushrooms.  Your usual technique sounds fine to me.

And yes, this is one pumpkin the squirrels do not get to feast on!

The pumpkin when cooked tastes so good after scooping out with the rest of the filling.

Hope you enjoy it when you try it this fall.  When I have guests I provide chow mein noodles if they want to sprinkle some on their servings.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

I don't have specific food to eat only during a certain time of year----if I  a full trukey dinner  in 90* weather, I will make it. I tend to use what ever is available per season--but it doesn't limit my menu at all. If it sounds good, thats  all I need--right now---pork chops with sauerkraut sound amazing!!! Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Can't wait for some Pumpkin Bread. Yum!!!

Original recipe uses shortening.

Pumpkin Bread from Betty Crocker Cookbook

2/3 c safflower oil

2 2/3 c sugar

4 eggs

1 can pumpkin (1 lb)

2/3 c water

3 1/3 c all purpose flour

2 tsp soda

1 1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp cloves

1 c chopped walnuts

Heat Oven to 350° Bake 70 mins or until toothpick comes out clean

Grease 2 -  9 x 5 x 3 loaf pans

In large bowl mix oil & sugar, stir in eggs, pumpkin & water

Blend in flour, soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon & cloves

Stir in nuts

Respected Contributor

Pumpkin Bread                    350 degrees

Mix: 4 eggs                                   Add: 1 can pumpkin           

1 cup oil                                         1 tsp. cinnamon        

2/3 cup cold water                         1 tsp. nutmeg

Add 3 cups sugar, 3 1/3 cups sifted flour, 1 1/2 tsp.salt

and 2 tsp. baking soda.

Add 1 cup each of chopped walnuts and raisins if  

desired.

Grease and flour ( I use Baking Pam) 2 loaf pans

or 1 Bundt pan.   Bake 1 hr. and 10 minutes

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz  It seems that we were typing at the same time.

Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff wrote:

@Nightowlz  It seems that were were typing at the same time.

@Enufstuff 

That's ok. It's a little different. I like the idea of using the Bundt pan. Don't know why I never thought about doing that?

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz  For my kids, it wouldn't be Thanksgiving or Christmas without pumpkin bread. To serve, I sift confectionary

sugar over the Bundt cake. Then we slice it.

It seems that the two differences are the amount of sugar and

mine has nutmeg and yours cloves. It sounds like a lot of sugar, but it is not too sweet. Sometimes I do use just a little less sugar.

This recipe came from one of those church recipe collections

cookbooks from the 1970's.

For the holidays I also make cranberry orange bread in a loaf

or muffins. I think that the kids like pumpkin bread best.