Respected Contributor

A Tomato Kitchen

[ Edited ]

Yes, that's what I have, it's been taken over by tomatoes.

Need to edit this recipe

So I've been thinking about freezing salsa, making just plain sauce and stumbled up the idea of making home made spaghetti sauce and that's exactly what I'm going to do this afternoon.

Calls for 4 # ripe tomatoes

2 tablespoons EVOO

2 garlic cloves smashed

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

2 teaspoons tomato paste   ( I put 4 Tablespoons)

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 sprig fresh basil

prepare the tomatoes removing skins and seeds, cook the garlic and crushed pepper add the tomato pulp paste sugar salt and basil and simmer.at least 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes

If you read the original recipe, it tells you to use the box grater and remove skins after you squeeze out seeds.   There is no way with a box grater that this can be accomplished.   I removed the seeds, removed the skins (should be blanched for easier skin removal) and I put in my little food chopper and rough chopped).

I like the idea of having it last for about a week in the frig or freeze for up to 6 months.

recipe is from Eating Well.

There's also a similar one from All Recipes (I really like the recipes on this site, haven't found a bad one yet)

Valued Contributor

Re: A Tomato Kitchen

[ Edited ]

you might like oven roasted tomato sauce at food dot com.  

Respected Contributor

I hear you just bling.seems,every waking moment I have,I have been canning tomatoes.so rewarding in the end.and when winter comes,I will be glad I put up with mess and canned my heart out!

Honored Contributor

I have a good friend that has a garden every year.

He and his wife plant (from seed) around 300 and some tomato plants, corn, green beans and a bunch of other veggies. 

He lives in the same house he was born in as was his parents.  He added onto it and modernized it himself.

I wish I could post pictures of the tomatoes laid out on a few tables.  As of 2 days ago he'd already canned around 248 jars of tomato sauce.

Surrounding his garden are all kinds of fruit trees.

He's my "go to" guy to fix things in my house.  He and I used to put in new inards in the bathroom tanks (did all 4 of them).  

These days we have to enlist his younger and skinner wife to help.

I love reading about all of you and the things you grow, can, etc.

He doesn't use any chemicals in his garden.

I used to say to put on my tombstone "Here lies Linda..She loved a good tomato"..I love them (his) that much.  

Valued Contributor

Scalding and peeling tomatoes is my least favorite thing to do when making tomato recipes. We can lots of quarts of spaghetti sauce and after washing I cut them up with skins and pulse them to liquid. Then we strain them and then go from there to make the sauce. I guess basically it is tomato juice to start. Glad we did a lot last year, as the tomatoes were a disaster this year. We like using "Tones" Italian seasoning for the sauce and it is getting very hard to find in our area. Last year, the tomatoes were plentiful, but could not find a canning lid in our whole town due to no supplies. A neighbor drove 50 miles to a Mennonite Store to find any and brought back enough to last us a long time.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

I am right with you in loving tomatoes!!!  What's better than a tomato sandwich when the tomato is still warm from the sun?

Toasted Tomato Sandwich - You Suck at Cooking (episode 79) - YouTube

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 

I am right with you in loving tomatoes!!!  What's better than a tomato sandwich when the tomato is still warm from the sun?

Toasted Tomato Sandwich - You Suck at Cooking (episode 79) - YouTube

Tomato slices, really REALLY GOOD real Mayo, lightly buttered toast. Ah..........