Trusted Contributor

Grain Free Tortillas? Hooray!

[ Edited ]

Well, neighbors, you are a pretty smart bunch so this may be old news to you, but I just found TWO substitutes for flour/corn tortillas. And they are both delicious. I avoid grains of all kinds these days, but I have missed having flatbreads to wrap things in because all the "gluten free" alternatives--well, they may not be horrible, but they are not worth eaating IMO.

Now there are Jicama Wraps. Discovered them in the produce case at Trader Joe's. They are simply very thin jicama slices, about 4" in diameter. They have little flavor themselves, just a mild, pleasant taste, and a wonderful crunchy texture. Think of a thinly-sliced water chestnut, maybe. In fact, I cut them up and use them like water chestnuts in stirfries. Very thin, so cook very quickly. But you ccan wrap anything in them. Fine with taco fillings, or just cheese and lettuce, or whatever the grain-eaters are putting in their tacos. My favorite, though, is making egg salad, ham salad, tuna salad, anything like that. I chop it up extra small, dollop a spoonful on the jicama, and roll  it up like an enchilada. So good! 

Next there are Potapas. Found them at Sprouts, and recently at other grocers. Don't know if the mega chain stores have them, but they're worth looking for. These are more like flour tortillas in size and texture, but they are made mostly from potatoes, with some cassava, tapioca and chickpea flours to give them body. They also make a version from sweet potatoes! You heat them briefly on a griddle just to get them warm and flexible, and then, again, you can wrap anything you want in them. Even nut butter and jam!  I've also cut them in wedges and quickly pan fried them in a spray of oil for a snack--they do get a little crisp and go with all kinds of dips that way. They are very tasty any way you  have them. I'm going to try cripsy bacon, fried egg and shredded cheese...

So there you have it, my grain-avoiding, paleo, keto, gluten-free, lower-carb friends. These two things do have some carbs but they are still just vegetables, not grains. They have expanded my possibilities in a delightful, no-compromise way. Maybe you will like them, too. I'd love to know what you discover.

Honored Contributor

Re: Grain Free Tortillas? Hooray!

I am sticking with corn tortillas for my tacos.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KaySD wrote:

Well, neighbors, you are a pretty smart bunch so this may be old news to you, but I just found TWO substitutes for flour/corn tortillas. And they are both delicious. I avoid grains of all kinds these days, but I have missed having flatbreads to wrap things in because all the "gluten free" alternatives--well, they may not be horrible, but they are not worth eaating IMO.

Now there are Jicama Wraps. Discovered them in the produce case at Trader Joe's. They are simply very thin jicama slices, about 4" in diameter. They have little flavor themselves, just a mild, pleasant taste, and a wonderful crunchy texture. Think of a thinly-sliced water chestnut, maybe. In fact, I cut them up and use them like water chestnuts in stirfries. Very thin, so cook very quickly. But you ccan wrap anything in them. Fine with taco fillings, or just cheese and lettuce, or whatever the grain-eaters are putting in their tacos. My favorite, though, is making egg salad, ham salad, tuna salad, anything like that. I chop it up extra small, dollop a spoonful on the jicama, and roll  it up like an enchilada. So good! 

Next there are Potapas. Found them at Sprouts, and recently at other grocers. Don't know if the mega chain stores have them, but they're worth looking for. These are more like flour tortillas in size and texture, but they are made mostly from potatoes, with some cassava, tapioca and chickpea flours to give them body. They also make a version from sweet potatoes! You heat them briefly on a griddle just to get them warm and flexible, and then, again, you can wrap anything you want in them. Even nut butter and jam!  I've also cut them in wedges and quickly pan fried them in a spray of oil for a snack--they do get a little crisp and go with all kinds of dips that way. They are very tasty any way you  have them. I'm going to try cripsy bacon, fried egg and shredded cheese...

So there you have it, my grain-avoiding, paleo, keto, gluten-free, lower-carb friends. These two things do have some carbs but they are still just vegetables, not grains. They have expanded my possibilities in a delightful, no-compromise way. Maybe you will like them, too. I'd love to know what you discover.

The jicama wraps sound interesting, @KaySD.  Are there any other ingredients besides jicama?  I'm an ingredient nerd because there are many products labeled as "keto" that are nowhere near it. 

The Potapas would be a definite "no" for me.  

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch- They are just thin slices of jicama, no other ingredients.

What's Good at Trader Joe's?: Trader Joe's Jicama Wraps

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch- They are just thin slices of jicama, no other ingredients.

What's Good at Trader Joe's?: Trader Joe's Jicama Wraps

Thank you @qbetzforreal!  I'm nowhere near a TJ's, but maybe hubby and I can go for a drive sometime. Better yet would be if Costco/Kirkland came out with one!

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

The jicama wraps are literally very thin slices of jicama. There's nothing else at all. But I would never be able to slice a whole jicama this way, even if I could find ones that size and shape. They are low cal, low carb, and delightfully crisp and crunchy. Ii just finished lunch and had an egg and celery salad, very finely chopped to be smooth to spread, wrapped in 4 of the wraps. 

Trusted Contributor

@DiAnne 

Absolutely you ahouls, if you like and can eat corn and wheat.

Jcama and potato tortillas are a great find for me--I haven't been able to eat a taco or anything like it for a long, long time.

Amazingly, I actually like them better than I ever liked corn and wheat!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KaySD 

Thanks for the info.  I will have to keep my eyes open for these...but I rarely get to TJ either.

Are they really pliable like a flour taco shell is....easy to fold and eat w/o it breaking all over?

I find that corn tortillas break and crack too much to make it an easy meal at my work desk.  I end up wearing more than I would like.

Yet would like to avoid grains.....

Trusted Contributor

@RespectLife 

The jicama wraps are raw and somewhat crisp, so I expect they would break if you actually fold them and press the sides together. I agree, flour and corn tortillas would probably crack as well.

That said, the jicama wraps are quite flexible when gently rolled. I can put a spoon of egg salad or a spread or slice of cheese on one, and easily roll it up like a fat cigar. Yummy.

They are fresh produce so they have a freshness date--you can't stock up and keep them around. 

Honored Contributor

@KaySD 

Thanks for the info!

A fat cigar would work pretty good at my desk!  LOL