Honored Contributor

@Writer with Flair 

I don't have recipes for either....just winged it.

This is how I make all my chowders...(not seafood, but Ham, corn or potato)

I sauted onions in a little butter.

Threw the ham pieces in.

Added some frozen corn.

1 lg carton of Veg stock

Added cream

Added Inst Pot flakes for a thickener.

For spices i went smokey.  Smoked paprika, ground Rosemary (I hate the little sticks in thyme and rosemary.  LOL)

I have a bunch of pkts of white Country Gravy that come with the Heartland Chicken I order from Q.

I mixed 2 pkts with only one cup of water.  It has pepper in it.

No salt cut ham is salty enough IMHO.

Honored Contributor

@Writer with Flair 

Shrimp Ramen Pho

This time I cheated.  I had a small carton of Pho broth from Wally.  Sometimes I make it from scratch.  I will post that recipe too.

I used a can of Chinese veggies, add the broth.

For spices, I used a blend of Asian spices from The Spice House.

I cooked the ramen separate withOUT the chemical flavor packet.

Add those and the already cooked shrimp.

Done!

I wish I would have had water chestnuts or fresh bean sprouts.  Those would have been yummy!

Honored Contributor

This recipe is from the Skinnytaste site...it is her low carb with veg version and it was just delicious.

Those veggies are not typically in Pho, but why not?  Who cares, it was good.

I thought her broth was easy and pretty darn close to the real thing.

I don't stock anise pods, so I just put a couple drops of Anise liquid in.  I use that for my pizelles.

Shrimp Pho with Vegetables SKINNYTASTE
233 Cals 30.5 Protein 19.5 Carbs 2.5 Fats  Cook Time: 45 mins   4 servings
  • 1 pound large shrimp
  • 1 ½ quarts vegetable or chicken broth
  • 1 Tbsp fish sauce
  • 1 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1 star anise pod
  • 1- in piece ginger, sliced
  • 8 oz white mushrooms, halved
  • 1 bunch cilantro
  • Salt to taste
  • 6 ounces thin rice noodles
  • 3 cups cauliflower or broccoli, from 1 small head
  • Garnish: Thinly sliced jalapeno, lime wedges,, mung bean sprouts, fresh mint, Thai basil, sliced scallions, sriracha, and/or hoisin sauce
1.                  If you’re using frozen shrimp, thaw it completely and drain as much water as possible, using a paper towel to pat it dry.
2.      If you’re using fresh, shell-on shrimp, peel it and reserve the shells for the stock.
3.      Add the broth, fish sauce, soy sauce, cinnamon stick, star anise pod, sliced ginger, and (if applicable) shrimp shells to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.
4.      Chop the leafy tops from the bunch of cilantro. Add all the stems to the saucepan.
5.      Cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until very fragrant, then use a slotted spoon to remove and discard the solids. Keep at a gentle simmer.
·  Meanwhile, just before the broth is ready fill a wide skillet with water and bring to a boil over high heat, then remove from heat and add the rice noodles.
·  Let soak for 3 to 5 minutes, or according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
·  Add mushrooms & cauli florets to broth and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender but still crisp.
·  Add the shrimp and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until firm, opaque, and pink.
Divide the rice noodles to each bowl first, then use a slotted spoon to distribute the shrimp and veggies, about 1 1/4 cup each.   Ladle 1 cup broth over the top and garnish however you like.   Serve with lime wedges and sriracha.   
serving: 1bowl, Calories: 233kcal, Carbohydrates: 19.5g, Protein: 30.5g, Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 0.5g, Cholesterol: 172.5mg, Sodium: 1548.5mg, Fiber: 3.5g, Sugar: 4g   Blue Smart Points: 5  Green Smart Points: 6    Purple Smart Points: 5
Honored Contributor

Ladies - did you see the banner about these message boards going away?

11/2.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

Re: Quick Pot Sticker Soup

[ Edited ]

Respect,

Thanks for sharing those recipes.  You have so many great ones.  You should write a cookbook!  

Fall definitely is in the air here in Texas.  Last night it was in the fifties. 

We're looking forward to eating more soup.  Several years ago we had a chain in the area called "Sweet Tomatoes."  It was a buffet restaurant that had soups, salads, breads, and desserts on weekdays and all those items plus breakfast items as well on the weekends.  They were part of the "Soup Plantation" chain in California.  

Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Ladies - did you see the banner about these message boards going away?

11/2.

VaBelle,

Thanks for letting us know.  That is TERRIBLE!! We'll have to figure out some way to stay in touch.

Honored Contributor

I did @VaBelle35 

That is just awful.  Coming here is always the high point of my morning!

I will also miss the Recipe Swap Game!

I have email for you and @Writer with Flair   @mustang66lady   @momtochloe   @ChiliPepper 

I am worried about @tiny 2 

I hope she sees this.  A while back I posted how to reach me via email.  I hope she wrote it down so we can stay in touch.

Honored Contributor

Hee hee @Writer with Flair 

all my recipes were gleened!   I get emails from certain recipe bloggers and get MANY recipes from the Recipe Swap game on these forums.

Honored Contributor

Good morning all!

Been busy, lots of catching up to do.

Been on a soup kick since it cooled off this week. Had some chili yesterday, so good!

Honored Contributor

NATIONAL APPLE BETTY DAY – October  5

NATIONAL APPLE BETTY DAY – October 5

NATIONAL APPLE BETTY DAY

On October 5, fall ushers in National Apple Betty Day with a sweet aroma of apples baked in cinnamon and oats. 

Similar to what is known as apple crisp, crumble, or cobbler, the American variant known as the Betty or Brown Betty dates from colonial times. Most Apple Betty recipes call for cinnamon, sugar, and butter to make the crumbs that top sliced apples. Sometimes oats or flour are added, too. 

As the temperatures begin dropping outside, apple Betty recipes warm the home and fill it with delicious fragrances. Apple Betty recipes also allow a child’s hand to help prepare the dessert, making it a family event. The season is ideal for this treat, too. Tart apples just off the tree call out for autumn recipes like these.

Apple Brown Betty was one of the favorite desserts of Ronald and Nancy Reagan in the White House. 

NATIONAL APPLE BETTY DAY HISTORY

National Day Calendar® continues researching the origins of this sweet autumn food holiday. 

Apple Betty FAQ

Q. What kind of apples are best when making an Apple Betty?
A. Tart, crisp apples are best for making an Apple Betty. Apples like Granny Smith and Braeburn hold up to baking and won’t be overly sweet when combined with the sugar and other ingredients. 

Q. What is the difference between an apple betty, apple cobbler, and apple crisp?
A. All three desserts bring out the flavor of crisp, tart apples. They also fill the home with the aroma of fall. However, the textures of each one differ from the others. An apple betty is topped with a crumble made from flour, butter, and spices. Apple cobbler is topped with a cake-like batter with baking soda to help it rise. Apple crisp is probably the most similar to the apple betty. However, apple crisp recipes typically call for oats in the topping to create a coarser text