Respected Contributor

Re: Quick Pot Sticker Soup

[ Edited ]

1,432,804 Ocean Sunset Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images - iStock

Greetings Everyone!

We had temperatures over one hundred yesterday, but it looks like things will be cooling down soon.

Mtc, we didn't get much impact from the hurricane.  It seemed to take a hard right to the east before it could do much damage in Texas.

Respect, that was a bummer about those pickles.  I hate it when I invest time and energy into a recipe that does not turn out like you were hoping it would.

So, what to do with those pickles?  Grab hold of your socks and pull--

Dill Pickle Socks-Pickle Gifts Men-Pickle Gifts | Etsy

here is a thought that definitely is outside of the box.  How about whipping up a batch of

Gifford's Ice Cream - Surprise! We are thrilled to announce one more new  flavor! Say hello to Peanut Butter Pickle! Ribbons of peppered pickle  spears weave through a creamy peanut butter ice

Peanut Butter and Pickle Ice Cream?

If I really were going to make this recipe, I would go ahead and take a flying leap off the end of the pier  .  .  .

Birdman event sees aviators jump off Worthing Pier | Daily Mail Online

and make a Bread and Butter Pickle Topping from some of the pickle juice.  Since I am so far out there with even thinking about making the ice cream in the first place, I figure why not go for the Whole Taco  .  .  .

Crispy Beef & Pickle Tacos

and make a pickle topping/sauce to go on top of the ice cream?

There is no recipe; just reduce some of the juice until it thickens a bit and add more sugar/sweetener if it is too tart.  You could even add some green food coloring to make it stand out a bit.

For those readers who have survived this idea this far, stay with me a bit longer.   I've already gone over the falls in a barrel by this point.

Annie Edson Taylor - Wikipedia

The First Niagara Falls "Barrel" Daredevil: Annie Edson Taylor -  WednesdaysWomen

So, why not finish the whole thing off with a sprinkle of toasted peanuts on top of the sauce.

1952 PLANTERS CHOPPED peanuts empty can - $25.00 | PicClick

No, I have not been drinking.

What Was Granny Clampett's Rheumatism Medicine? – Answers Everyday    

Peanut Butter and Pickle Ice Cream

• INGREDIENTS

• 1 cup diced bread-and-butter pickles (about the size of pencil erasers)
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 1 cup whole milk
  •  ¼ teaspoon salt
  •  ¾ cup sugar
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla paste or extract
  •  ½ cup unsalted natural peanut butter

PREPARATION
  1. Line a plate with parchment or wax paper and spread diced pickles across it in a single layer. Freeze until solid, at least one hour.
  2. In a medium saucepan, combine cream, milk, salt, sugar and egg yolks. Whisk to blend. Place over medium-low heat and whisk continuously, occasionally scraping the bottom of the pan with a rubber spatula, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spatula, about 10 to 12 minutes.
  3. Pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a mixing bowl. Add vanilla and peanut butter, whisking until smooth. Cool custard by placing the bottom of the bowl into a bowl of ice water and stirring until chilled, about 20 minutes, or by refrigerating for 2 to 24 hours.
  4. Freeze the chilled custard in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Just before ice cream is fully set and still churning, add diced frozen pickles. Transfer to a bowl, cover and freeze until firm.

Honored Contributor

LOLOLOL @Writer with Flair 

I think I will pass...on all of it!   LOL  Esp the ice cream.

Besides, these pickles turned brown!  OOOOGGGLY!

And for the life of me, I will never understand what possessed  sweet Annie to get in that barrel!  She is a legend around here.

Ya think she got in w/ that dress and hat?  I woulda thought she'd need a bigger barrel!

Honored Contributor

Well, while @Writer with Flair is topping the temp charts, we have hit the bottom of the barrel like Annie!

Our high today is 61 and supposed to drop over the weekend to the 50's.

So yes, the light colored PARKA is coming out!

It is DEF soup weather.  I was going to make our Potsticker soup but now am leaning twd Lasagna Soup!

Maybe I will make both!

Honored Contributor

It's Monday!  Again!

We did end up having sunny but cool (for me) weather but I made Ham and Corn Chowder and Pho Ramen with Shrimp!

Two soups!  DH actually had a big bowl of the Pho Ramen (drats...I made HIM the chowder and made the Pho for me!) after he came home from the Bills game yesty.

Never did get the rain over the game like they warned, but still, sitting outside for hours gave him a chill that MY soup apprently hit the spot.

Honored Contributor

Hope you are ALL doing well! 

Missing you, dear friends!

We have beautiful sunshine, but def FALL temps.  It was 49 deg when I left for work this morning!

I am keeping the toesies showin....til it starts snowin.....

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

Morning!

SO...my first attempt at Sweet Pickles was a major bust.

I got a recipe called Craven County Sweet Pickles 

8 day process then another week.  I followed the recipe and instructions exactly.

WOWZA...there is nothing sweet about these pickles...and ALL that sugar!

The vinegar is so strong still it makes you cough!  LOL

I thought about adding more sugar or sweetener, but hate to keep throwing good ingredients after bad!  At least the cukes were free, but I think they are destined for the trash!

@RespectLife 

I made these a couple of years ago and they were very good and very easy.

Bread and Butter Pickles

INGREDIENTS

5½ cups (1½ pounds) thinly sliced pickling cucumbers
1½ tablespoons Kosher salt
1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 cup white vinegar
½ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
1½ teaspoons mustard seeds
½ teaspoon celery seeds
⅛ teaspoon ground turmeric

INSTRUCTIONS
Combine the cucumbers and salt in a large, shallow bowl; cover and chill 1½ hours. Move the cucumbers into a colander and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Drain well, and return the cucumbers to bowl. Add the onion to the bowl.

Combine the sugar and the remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the cucumber mixture; let stand at room temperature 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.

https://www.recipegirl.com/bread-and-butter-pickles/ 

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Greetings all

I am ready for fall cooking and making some soups.  It's finally cooled off here enough to even think about cooking.

I will check out the recipe game thread.  I am ready for some new ideas.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Thanks @VaBelle35 

That is almost identical to what I make but as per BJC I also add:

• ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
  • 1 cinnamon stick broken into pieces
  • pinch ground allspice
  • 6 whole cloves
  • ½ teaspoon ground turmeric

I up the cider vineg and reduce the white.

One trick the BJC says is when you initially fridge the cukes w/ salt....lay a cotton towel over the cuke slices and layer with ice.  This helps to keep the cukes crisp.  I swear by it.

It is only the Sweet Pickle recipe that bombed and went into the oval file (trash)

They were supposed to be just like Sweet Gherkins in the store, which DH likes..and I do not!  They were awful...and it was an 8 day process!  LOL

I will stick w/ Bread & Butter and one or 2 jars of Dill....

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 

I get some great ideas from the Recipe Game.  I haven't had a chance to try as many as I would like, but I copy lots!

I made both Pho and Ham/Corn Chowder last wkend....it has been sunny but very cool.  Today it is cold AND gloomy!

Time for a new batch of soup.

I actually have a ton of mini potstickers to use up, so that is a def this weekend!

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

It's Monday!  Again!

We did end up having sunny but cool (for me) weather but I made Ham and Corn Chowder and Pho Ramen with Shrimp!

Two soups!  DH actually had a big bowl of the Pho Ramen (drats...I made HIM the chowder and made the Pho for me!) after he came home from the Bills game yesty.

Never did get the rain over the game like they warned, but still, sitting outside for hours gave him a chill that MY soup apprently hit the spot.

Respect,

Both those soups sound delish.  Could you share the recipes? 

I decided to make a package of Bob's Red Mill Veggie soup.  I used canned tomatoes instead of water along with the carrots, celery, and onions recommended on the bag.  We'll se how it turns out.  It's in the Instant Pot right now.

For luch we had some homemade green lentil soup with carrots and celery in it.  Mr. Writer always adds some type of vinegar to his.  Today he used Red Wine Vinegar and I used Malt vinegar.